Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IT - Journey from Jabber to Webex

Cole Callahan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

IT Migration_LI - FB - 1200x628 - Yellow - Orange.png

Join us for insight on Cisco IT’s journey in migrating from Jabber to Webex. Hear from team experts Arti Patel (Project Lead) and Luke Clifford (Collab Architect) on how the program was planned, executed, and communicated across the organization. The recording, QA, and slides are now attached below. 

watchtherecording.pngQA.png

Response Signature

4 Replies 4

Goswin Weemaes
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@Marcel :-) , thanks for sharing your feedback. Much appreciated!

Regarding "full featured meeting experience": when enabled, users will be able to start/join Webex meetings directly from the Webex (Teams) app and have all meetings features (as if it was launched from the Webex Meetings Desktop client). This means users will have access to chat, breakout sessions, reactions, ...
This feature can only be enabled at Org level and there are a couple of requirements (minimum Webex version, hybrid calendar is highly recommended, ...) Your Cisco contact person should be able to redirect you to your Customer Success Manager (CSM) in order to review and activate this for you.

"At the moment it is so that if someone writes a link in the chat and you click on it, you get a warning (external site warning)"
I never noticed this myself and will see if I have the time to check this for you.

"it would be nice to be able to set that the first member of the organization that joins a meeting gets the host role"
This can be configured by the host when scheduling the meeting (https://help.webex.com/en-us/n1bqkbv/Add-Cohosts-for-Webex-Meetings). There is an option called "The first person to join the meeting who has a host account on this site becomes a cohost." This can then be saved as a template that the host can use for every meeting.
This setting can also be configured in the Preferences of the user's Personal Meeting Room.
Note that that first member of your organization also needs to have an account on your Webex site.

Response Signature

@Goswin Weemaes Thank you very much for your answers.

"At the moment it is so that if someone writes a link in the chat and you click on it, you get a warning (external site warning)"

I never noticed this myself and will see if I have the time to check this for you.

Maybe that's because you've only posted links from Cisco/Webex in the chat so far? Cisco domains are globally whitelisted according to TAC.

@Goswin Weemaes wrote:

"it would be nice to be able to set that the first member of the organization that joins a meeting gets the host role"
This can be configured by the host when scheduling the meeting (https://help.webex.com/en-us/n1bqkbv/Add-Cohosts-for-Webex-Meetings). There is an option called "The first person to join the meeting who has a host account on this site becomes a cohost." This can then be saved as a template that the host can use for every meeting.
This setting can also be configured in the Preferences of the user's Personal Meeting Room.
Note that that first member of your organization also needs to have an account on your Webex site.

Am I right that this can only be set via the website and not via Outlook? Is this feature still coming for Outlook? Most people in our company schedule meetings through Outlook.
And can I perhaps provide a template via the Control Hub, or the Webex Site Administration, so that all users of our organization have this automatically and not everyone has to set it up for themselves?

Marcel :-)
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello,

thank you very much for the great lecture yesterday.

I would like to share my experience here as we have made a similar switch in our company. Approx 900 people spread over 16 locations. We started at the end of February and gave ourselves until early April.

First of all I would like to say the migration from Jabber/CWMS to Webex Cloud went well.
We are using on prem calling, hybrid data security and hybrid calendar services.

The biggest problem we had, or still have, is that we can't do the same with Webex Teams as we can with Webex Meetings App.
For example, when we join a WebexMeetings viaWebex Teams, there is no chat and no breakout sessions.
I also find it a bit unpleasant that the Webex sites in the USA have more features than the ones in Europe (Germany). Keyword "full featured meeting experience". Our contact person at Cisco didn't even know that this can be activated by Cisco. I read this by chance in a posting in the Cisco Webex Community. Currently, we have not yet activated this, because I'm not quite sure what effect it will have. It would be nice to be able to activate this for individual users and not for the whole organization.

I also find the renaming of Webex Teams to just Webex unattractive for companies that have used Jabber and the CWMS before. Unfortunately, this has also led to some confusion among our colleagues.
For us internally the "(all in one) Webex App" is actually still called "Webex Teams". This is simply easier for the colleagues.

Then there are two things that I would have liked to have solved differently. And that is in Webex Meetings. I would be happy if there was a way for customers to maintain their own domain whitelists for external links. At the moment it is so that if someone writes a link in the chat and you click on it, you get a warning (external site warning). I would like to disable this for our own domains, but according to TAC it is not possible.

The second is,
It would be great to be able to use Webex meetings in which the host cannot participate normally. Currently this is only possible if you define one (or more) co-hosts. But this is often forgotten.
Here it would be nice to be able to set that the first member of the organization that joins a meeting gets the host role, and that as soon as the actual host joins the role is automatically transferred to him. Similar to CWMS.

But, overall, I think Webex Teams/Meetings is a great tool that helps us, especially in the current situation, to get our internal teams working together on their projects. And I'm looking forward to some more great features and maybe even some more possibilities for administration of teams and spaces for internal IT admins.

Thanks.

Cole Callahan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This post has been updated with the QA, slides, and event recording!

Response Signature