Views
Helpful
Replies

Access to Out-of-band and In-Band Management

vutuan777
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

In the Cisco APIC Basic Configuration Guide, Cisco said that: "The APIC controller always selects the in-band management interface over the out-of-band management interface, if the in-band management interface is configured. The out-of-band management interface is used only when the in-band management interface is not configured or if the destination address is on the same subnet as the out-of-band management subnet of the APIC. This behavior cannot be changed or reconfigured"

As i understand, if i configure in-band management, i can only access to APIC via out-of-band interface if my PC is on same subnet as the out-of-band management subnet. Is it correct !?

5 Replies 5

Jayesh Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Vutuan,

There are 2 ways APIC can communicate with the outside world via in-band mgmt or oob-mgmt access.

The mgmt address provided at the time of APIC initial bringup is the out of band mgmt IP which goes on the LAN-on-Motherboard port (2xEthernet Ports). In-Band mgmt is provided via leaf switches through data network.

When in-band management is set up, the APIC always prefers in-band for any traffic sourced from the APIC. Out-of-band is still accessible for devices that are sending requests to the out-of-band address specifically.

In one of my setup I have both mgmt connectivity configured and I am able to access devices via OOB IP from any network which has IP reachability to OOB segment.

Also, with APIC 2.1(1x), you can set a global toggle between In-band and out-of-band as the default management connectivity between the APIC server and other external management devices.

I would recommend two docs for you that would help:

1. Toggle feature for inb and oob mgmt preference

2. Refer to In-band and Out-of-band management section

Regards,

Jayesh

***Rate all helpful posts. Mark it as a solution if it answers your query, that would help other users who have the same query.***

Hi Jayesh Singh,

I'm testing on my lab.

I have configured both in-band and out-of-band management.

Because i confuse what the Cisco documentation said, so I already changed Connectivity Preferences to oob.

I also add subnet will be used to manage, when configure External Management Entity Instance (Out-of-Band contract), is 0.0.0.0/0

But from APIC oob, i just can ping the gateway (Cat3850_01), can't ping the next hop (Cat3850_02); and of course Cat3850_02 can't ping APIC oob

My topology is very simple: APIC oob <==> Cat3850_01 <==> Cat3850_02.

That shouldn't be the case if routing is fine on your 3850s. Hope you have the reverse route on 3850_02 for the APIC.

You should try with laptops connected to this setup for verification.

Regards,

Jayesh

Hi Jayesh Singh,

I also think the problem lies in routing, but also need someone help clear about access to both in-band and out-of-band interface.

I am not authorized to access the Cat3850, must to wait for answer from the infrastructure team.

Refer to my first post... That how it works.

Also, have shared links for aci best practice guide where it is documented. 

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License