Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACI 6.0 Leaf/Spine mgmt0 Interface Description

Is there a way to add description (that will appear on CLI "show interface description") to mgmt0 using the APIC v6 GUI?

I'm seeing posts that talk to API and CLI methods.  Our operations team will only use the GUI to configure, and the CLI only to inspect ("show" commands, etc); we've experienced that using the CLI to configure ACI can at times conflict with use of the GUI; and, at the moment we do zero direct API interactions.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ThinMan
Level 1
Level 1

If I understand correctly, you wanted 

1. configure OOB management interface descriptions for nodes via the GUI 

2. and will be able to see the description for "show int description" command SSH access to node i.e. leaf or spine ? 

if so,  please follow the below on the gui on the APIC

1. Tenants > mgmt > Node Management addresses > Static Node management addresses 

2. Double click on the Node that you want to add the description too. 

3. Add the description to "Description (optional)" box 

4. Sumbit the changes 

5. Now ssh to the node and run "show interface description command". you will see the  description in the output.

one more tip, you can do show 

show cdp/lldp neighbours interface mgmt 0 command too, provided you have those protocols enabled both ways.

Please accept this as solution if it worked for you.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

ThinMan
Level 1
Level 1

If I understand correctly, you wanted 

1. configure OOB management interface descriptions for nodes via the GUI 

2. and will be able to see the description for "show int description" command SSH access to node i.e. leaf or spine ? 

if so,  please follow the below on the gui on the APIC

1. Tenants > mgmt > Node Management addresses > Static Node management addresses 

2. Double click on the Node that you want to add the description too. 

3. Add the description to "Description (optional)" box 

4. Sumbit the changes 

5. Now ssh to the node and run "show interface description command". you will see the  description in the output.

one more tip, you can do show 

show cdp/lldp neighbours interface mgmt 0 command too, provided you have those protocols enabled both ways.

Please accept this as solution if it worked for you.

Perfect!  Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.

And yes, CDP/LLDP are awesome tools, I trust them far more than interface descriptions.  But we try to set interface descriptions as well, as a matter of practice, for those times where you're not onsite but are trying to figure out where some offline link is *supposed to be* plugged in; and to see consistent results mixed with devices (like servers) that don't participate in discovery protocols.

@weylin.piegorsch ah yes, that makes sense. always nice to have standards

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License