cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACI fabric discovery pickle with QSFP only leaf, 10Gbps breakouts, and no QSA w/SFP+

Beau Poehls
Level 1
Level 1

When doing a fabric discovery on an ACI fabric with QSFP only leaf nodes, is QSA with 10Gbps SFP+ the only supported way to connect the APIC fabric interfaces to the 40Gbps leaf nodes? Is there any backdoor way to enable breakout support on any interface for fabric discovery? Is it technically possible, but not supported, to connect an APIC to SFP+ ports on a spine temporarily for a workaround?

I'm guessing we're out of luck, but grabbing for straws. We also considered the use of an intermediate switch with QinQ configured, just until we can discover the fabric and configure a breakout.

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Claudia de Luna
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi @Beau Poehls,

Much depends on the leaf model.  The CVR-QSFP-SFP10G (40 ot 10G "converter") could be an option for you if it is compatible with your leaf model but I know of no other way with what you have and I'm not even sure if the 40 to 10 converter is still available/supported or if its compatible with your model leaf. 

Back in ACI 2.2 release notes:
       "Connecting the APIC (the controller cluster) to the ACI fabric requires a 10G interface on the ACI leaf. You cannot connect the APIC directly to the N9332PQ ACI leaf switch, unless you use a 40G to 10G converter (part number CVR-QSFP-SFP10G), in which case the port on the N9332PQ switch will auto-negotiate to 10G without requiring any manual configuration."

So far, whenever I've run into a situation like this I've had to order parts. :(

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Claudia de Luna
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi @Beau Poehls,

Much depends on the leaf model.  The CVR-QSFP-SFP10G (40 ot 10G "converter") could be an option for you if it is compatible with your leaf model but I know of no other way with what you have and I'm not even sure if the 40 to 10 converter is still available/supported or if its compatible with your model leaf. 

Back in ACI 2.2 release notes:
       "Connecting the APIC (the controller cluster) to the ACI fabric requires a 10G interface on the ACI leaf. You cannot connect the APIC directly to the N9332PQ ACI leaf switch, unless you use a 40G to 10G converter (part number CVR-QSFP-SFP10G), in which case the port on the N9332PQ switch will auto-negotiate to 10G without requiring any manual configuration."

So far, whenever I've run into a situation like this I've had to order parts. :(

Thanks for the reply Claudia!. QSAs are supported on the leaf and have been ordered, but I was trying to find a work around to keep things moving. Thanks again for your response.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License