Views
Helpful
Replies

ACI License question

S891
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

I am new to ACI and am a little confused about license model. I have Nexus 9336PQ as ACI Spine and 2 x 9372PX-E as ACI Leafs. I am wondering whether I need any license upgrade to support layer 3 features. 

When I purchased ACI lab solution from Cisco it came with the following software license. 

ACI-N9KDK9-11.1Nexus 9K ACI Base Software NX-OS Rel 11.1
ACI-LIC-PAKACI Software License PAK Expansion
ACI-N9K-48XACI SW license for a 48p 1/10G Nexus 9K
3 Replies 3

Claudia de Luna
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi @S891,

For the Nexus 9Ks in ACI mode you do not need additional licensing for Layer 3 support.

Cisco licensing always makes my head hurt particularly every time they change models (by the time I think I understand it they change the model).  Its worse for ACI because the documentation is so poor but buried in documentation about NX-OS licensing you find the description below.

ACI Base Software (Essentials)

• ACI base features (ecosystem security, fabric management, intent-based networking, multi-pod, and virtualization)

Note 

The ACI base features are included in the Essentials package (along with the NX-OS features). Having the NX-OS and ACI licenses in one package prevents you from having to order a separate ACI license if you start with an NX-OS deployment and later want to convert to ACI.

• Fabric management features (DCNM LAN and PTP)

• Fabric services features (Catena, iCAM, ITD, IP fabric for media non-blocking multicast, and smart channel)

• Routing and switching features (BGP, EIGRP, GRE, IS-IS, MSDP, OSPF, PBR, PIM, SSM, VRF, and VXLAN BGP EVPN)

• Telemetry features (NetFlow and Cisco Tetration Analytics™)

Thanks for your input. I do see some license upgrade options available. I also read that the ACI license are honor system based. Does it mean that the functionality will be available and you can upgrade but you truly need to buy the license? 

Hi @S891 

You do not need to upgrade to use layer 3 features.  Only if you are looking at Multi site. Remote leaf, and some other advanced ACI capabilities.

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License