Views
Helpful
Replies

Can a L3 Domain with VMM Domain, same AAEP

BertiniB
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Can a L3 Domain be associated to the same AAEP as a VMM Domain? I had this strange effect that when I put them in the same AAEP, I can`t put the interface connected to the router as a Routed Interface, it raises a fault saying that it is already configured as L2. Maybe it is deploying the VLANs of the VMM Domain in the interface of the router?
But when I create a dedicated AAEP for L3, it works.
Infrastructure VLAN is not enabled in neither of them.
I have an ACI at version 5.2 and switches at version 4.2, maybe this could be the issue?

4 Replies 4

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @BertiniB ,

Can a L3 Domain be associated to the same AAEP as a VMM Domain?

Yes. They certainly can. 

...BUT

If you have ANY EPGs mapped "up" from the AAEP, then ALL ports in the AAEP are automatically configured as switched ports. And you won't be able to configure any L3 router interfaces or sub-interface.

Similarly, if you enable the Infrastructure VLAN on the AAEP - same deal.

I had this strange effect that when I put them in the same AAEP, I can`t put the interface connected to the router as a Routed Interface, it raises a fault saying that it is already configured as L2.

I suspect you may have some EPGs mapped "up" from the AAEP. If not, then if you have used the Pre-provision option when mapping the VMM to an EPG *MAY* have the same effect as mapping "up".  But I have not tested this.

Maybe it is deploying the VLANs of the VMM Domain in the interface of the router?

That is essentially what happens if you do the mapping "up"

But when I create a dedicated AAEP for L3, it works.
Infrastructure VLAN is not enabled in neither of them.
I have an ACI at version 5.2 and switches at version 4.2, maybe this could be the issue?

Doubt that that is the issue, but I do NOT recommend mixing version APIC and switch versions.

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Thanks @RedNectar for the reply.

I checked and there was no Domains associated with the AAEP, but indeed the VMM Domain was set to Pre-Provision. So changing to any other could fix this issue?

Hi @BertiniB ,

but indeed the VMM Domain was set to Pre-Provision. So changing to any other could fix this issue?

As I said, I've not tested this. But if the ESXi hosts are more than one switch hop away from the ACI Leaves, you will need to leave the VMM Domain set to Pre-Provision.

Separate AAEP is probably the best answer, and an elegant one too.

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Ruben Cocheno
Spotlight
Spotlight

@BertiniB 

Floating L3Out has been supported since Cisco ACI release 4.2(1) for VMM domains with VMware vSphere Distributed Switch (VDS).

Having the same AEP attached to EPGs will likely be through a Fault as that will be considered Layer2 while you deploy a L3out (routed)

Mixing APIC and switch versions is not ideal.

Tag me to follow up.
Please mark it as Helpful and/or Solution Accepted if that is the case. Thanks for making Engineering easy again.
Connect with me for more on Linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/rubencocheno/

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License