Views
Helpful
Replies

Can i run Cisco ACI Simulator or VM image on MAC OS using Fusion

balbaletabrez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There Experts,

Can i run Cisco ACI Simulator or VM image on MAC OS using Fusion??

Express your views or experience around it.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi @balbaletabrez ,

I installed v4.1 (from memory) on my Quad Core 2016 MBP with just 16GB RAM.

It was not a happy experience - specifically you need at LEAST 32GB RAM, (which I knew, but what the heck, let's try)

Although I was able to complete the install, it took well over an hour to boot up and a similar time to log in. About then I hit the power-down and deleted the image.

I hope this helps

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

joezersk
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I have not tried Fusion (I use a Mac too) but I have used VirtualBox, which is a free equivalent.

However, there is a major reason why I am going to recommend against running any ACI sim on a laptop.  Put simply, it is very resource hungry.  Because it is simulating one spine, two leafs and an APIC, it wants A LOT of memory and vCPU.  I am talking 24-32GB of memory, or more.  Most laptops cannot provide that so the better way is to run it on a proper server with some hypervisor (ESX, KVM, etc).  Later releases only seem to grow in size and demands, so a laptop is likely a dead end. 

Hi @balbaletabrez ,

I installed v4.1 (from memory) on my Quad Core 2016 MBP with just 16GB RAM.

It was not a happy experience - specifically you need at LEAST 32GB RAM, (which I knew, but what the heck, let's try)

Although I was able to complete the install, it took well over an hour to boot up and a similar time to log in. About then I hit the power-down and deleted the image.

I hope this helps

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

RedNectar.Chris
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License