Views
Helpful
Replies

Can we connect Layer 3 device to SPINE

kirank10
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 
I am actually getting confused some  say we cant connect l3 device to spine ,some guys are saying we can connect layer 3 device to spine  

Can we connect Layer 3 device to SPINE ?

so can you guys help me out on this 

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

yes as pre the design.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is a standard design of ACI.  Spines and Leafs have very different functions. The only connections possible with Spines are to Leaf nodes and fabric Infrastructure connections (ie. GOLF, InterPod/InterSite Network only).  All L3 connections for User workloads need to be connected to Leafs.  The leafs maintain the routing tables, and redistribute of prefixes into MP-BGP and and corresponding VRFs.  The Spines primary function is more of a backplane to the fabric though it doubles as the global endpoint policy manager (COOP Oracle).  Leafs are where all endpoint classification and policy is applied.  When I explain the function of Spines & Leafs, I use the analogy of a giant logical switch.  The spines act as your fabric modules providing the interconnection, and Leafs are the Linecards in which all workloads are connected into.

Hope this helps.

Robert 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

hi @balaji.bandi 

Any device like router

yes as pre the design.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is a standard design of ACI.  Spines and Leafs have very different functions. The only connections possible with Spines are to Leaf nodes and fabric Infrastructure connections (ie. GOLF, InterPod/InterSite Network only).  All L3 connections for User workloads need to be connected to Leafs.  The leafs maintain the routing tables, and redistribute of prefixes into MP-BGP and and corresponding VRFs.  The Spines primary function is more of a backplane to the fabric though it doubles as the global endpoint policy manager (COOP Oracle).  Leafs are where all endpoint classification and policy is applied.  When I explain the function of Spines & Leafs, I use the analogy of a giant logical switch.  The spines act as your fabric modules providing the interconnection, and Leafs are the Linecards in which all workloads are connected into.

Hope this helps.

Robert 

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License