Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing oobmgmt on APIC controller after setup

udo.konstantin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I need to change the OoB Management Address after the initial setup. This should be done on all three APIC controllers.

I try to do this with the bash command "ifconfig" but even I was logged on as admin I don't have permission to change the IP.

Is there any other way to change it without accessing the GUI?

Thanks

Udo

6 Replies 6

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi Udo,

You can configure Static IP addresses for OOB Management on the APIC controllers by completingthe following steps:

In the APIC GUI, navigate to Tenants > mgmt > Node Mangement Addresses > Static Node Mangement Addresses; right-click on Static Node Mangement Addresses > Create Static Node Management Addresses

In the dialogue that opens, specify:

Node Range:    1 3

Config:             [x] Out-of-Band Addresses

Out-Of-Band Mangagement EPG: default

Out-Of-Band IPV4 Address: <IP Address of APIC#1>

Out-Of-Band IPV4 Gateway: <IP Address of Gw>

Click SUBMIT and three IP addresses will be assigned to the APICs starting at the IP address you entered.

Of course, if you are conducting the configuration using the OLD IP address, you will loose connectivity, and you will have to log in again using the new address.

I hope this helps

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Hi Chris,

thanks for your answer. But I don't have access to the GUI because the used IP address is't reachable. Thats the reason why I should change the OoB Management Address. 

I have access to the console. 

So is there any way to change it with the bash (ifconfig) or on normal mode? 

BR 

Udo 

Hi Udo,

Firstly, do you know the IP address of any of the three controllers?  If so, you can access the GUI via any one of those addresses.

But, if you have only access to the console, type this:

config
  controller 1
    interface mgmt0
      ip address x.x.x.x/xx gateway x.x.x.x
      oob-mgmt default
      exit
    exit

Repeat for controller 2 & 3

I hope this helps

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Hi Chris,

thanks again for this. 

Does it works in the same way for IPv6?

BR

Udo

Udo,

Yes - IPv6 is supported

apic1# configure
apic1(config)# controller 1
apic1(config-controller)# interface mgmt0
apic1(config-controller-if)# ipv6 address ?
 A:B:C::X/LEN  IPv6 address and network mask length
apic1(config-controller-if)# ipv6 address 2001:db8:cafe::/64 ?
 gateway  Configure gateway address on interface
apic1(config-controller-if)# ipv6 address 2001:db8:cafe::2/64 gateway 2001:db8:cafe::1 ?
 <CR>
apic1(config-controller-if)# ipv6 address 2001:db8:cafe::2/64 gateway 2001:db8:cafe::1

It seems that it needs to be a static address - I could not find any option to give it an EUI address.

I hope this helps

At APIC Simulator 3.1x, the correct statement is "oob-mgmt epg default"

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License