cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ACI Multipod Spines Back-to-Back

whiss33
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all. I currently have a ACI datacenter with a single pod but need to extend that pod into another datacenter in the same building. I am not going to have a third pod. Based on these requirements I chose to ACI Multi-pod Spine Back-to-Back.

My understanding of spine back-to-back was that that the 2nd pod was created completely and commissioned though my 1st data centers APIC. My plan was to simply install and cable my new datacenter’s spines, physically connect a leaf, then then commission the 2nd pod via my current ACI pod 1.

I spoke with my Cisco datacenter rep today asking a few questions and was told that my new datacenter must first be completely up and operational in its own ACI fabric before I could connect it. Essentially must create an entire ACI fabric and then join them together. This is not how the I understood the white papers. Looking through the APIC side of with with multi-pod back-to-back I get no indication that this is the case. If I did have to have the 2nd datacenter up completely first, wouldn’t I also have to run the multi-pod setup on the 2nd pod as well for the OSPF connections?

Thanks all

1 Reply 1

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @whiss33 

You are correct, for a Multi-Pod fabric, you must cable the spines and at least a leaf in the new Pod, then configure and discover the new Pod using the configuration guide in the existing APIC cluster.

What was suggested by the "Cisco datacenter rep" was to create a new ACI fabric and interconnect them into what is called a Multi-Site setup, which is not the same as Multi-Pod. 

Take care,

Sergiu

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License