cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ACI VMWare Domain only showing IPV6 as physical interface

bl80
Level 1
Level 1

Working to bring up a new fabric and having issues with our VM integration.  

Going through the troubleshooting guide the first item that popped out was seeing that the physical interface for the VDS is IPV6.

VA-P1-RBC02-APIC-2# sh vmware domain name VA-PROD01-VDS-E
Domain Name : VA-PROD01-VDS-E
Virtual Switch Mode : VMware Distributed Switch
Vlan Domain : VA-PROD01-VDS-E (2298-2299, 2350-2379)
Physical Interfaces : fe80:0000:0000:0000:cacb:b8ff:fea5:0fa8 (Unmanaged Node),
fe80:0000:0000:0000:cacb:b8ff:fea5:0fa8 (Unmanaged Node)
Number of EPGs : 7
Faults by Severity : 0, 0, 0, 0
LLDP override : RX: enabled, TX: enabled
CDP override : disabled
Channel Mode override : active

Going further down the guide I can see that the IPV4 and IPV6 addresses are listed under the "Unmanaged Fabric Nodes".

The IPV6 shows that it has all the servers listed behind it, where the IPV4 address shows the leaf interfaces. (see photos below).

ipv4.jpg

ipv6.jpg

Is there any option to disable ipv6 discovery on these uplinks?  Does this likely need to be addressed on the HP Chassis side of the connection?  I know in our other functional fabrics in other data centers the VC Domain does not have IPv6 enabled.  Hoping there is a workaround on the ACI side if at all possible.  Thank you!

2 Replies 2

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You shouldn't really need to disable IPv6.  Can you expand on the issues you're hitting setting up VMM?

Robert

bl80
Level 1
Level 1

So here is more info -- This truly feels like its something on the VSphere side but its not making complete sense.

From the hosts in VSphere client, when viewing the VMNICs you can see in LLDP properties that its showing its VC Domain IP (which is what I expect to see in Fabric) but its also showing the IPV6 address that I also see in Fabric.  

We have removed IPV6 from everything on the Virtual Switch/Chassis side that we can find.  The VC Domain IP config shows specifically that IPV6 is disabled.  

On the Fabric side when viewing the vmware domain name I only see the IPV6 as "physical interface" .  In unmanaged nodes on the fabric I see both IPV4 and IPV6 as shown above where its displaying the server links on IPV6 and then the node links bound to the IPV4.  

I am unclear how to stop Vsphere from advertising the IPV6 -- Assume this is ultimately the wrong forum for this question but hoping that someone else might have experienced this before.  

bl80_0-1687376709582.png

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License