Views
Helpful
Replies

Enabling a port on Leaf which has not connection to APIC

O.K.
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

I've encountered a situation where I made a mistake, and now I'm struggling to revert it.

In my test environment, I have 1 APIC, 1 spine, and 2 leaf switches. I've accidentally disconnected both leaf switches from the APIC. As a result, when I log into the APIC GUI, the pod appears empty because it can't detect any connected switches.

I've managed to connect to the leaf switches' CLI using the Fallback domain (ssh SWITCH -l apic#fallback\\admin), but I'm only seeing Linux tools available. I'm unsure how to proceed with configuring the switch interfaces from this CLI environment.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate your help. Thanks in advance!

Regards.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Remi-Astruc
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ahah, nice one!

If your Fabric is not in production (what I guess from your topology), you can re-enable the ports in the APIC GUI (without effect yet), reset the switches to factory default and rediscover them. Once done, they will retrieve again their config.

Remi Astruc

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Remi-Astruc
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @O.K. ,

You definitely need the APIC connection to configure your Fabric.

Can you elaborate more on "accidentally disconnected both leaf switches"?

What is the physical status?

Did you already configure things on the Leaves?

What are your related open Faults?

Regards

Remi Astruc

Hi @Remi-Astruc , 

Thank you for your reply!

@Remi-Astruc wrote:

Hi @O.K. ,

You definitely need the APIC connection to configure your Fabric.

Can you elaborate more on "accidentally disconnected both leaf switches"?

I was on the APIC CLI and used the following commands, (Both interfaces are the connection from leafs to APIC)

apic1# configure
apic1(config)# leaf 111-112
apic1(config-leaf)# interface ethernet 1/48
apic1(config-leaf)# shutdown.

So there is a physical connection, but ports are in “admin-down” state. As I mentioned, I can connect to leaf switches, but I can't find any command to take the interfaces UP again.  

Regards.

Remi-Astruc
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ahah, nice one!

If your Fabric is not in production (what I guess from your topology), you can re-enable the ports in the APIC GUI (without effect yet), reset the switches to factory default and rediscover them. Once done, they will retrieve again their config.

Remi Astruc

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License