Views
Helpful
Replies

EPG with only Static Port

BertiniB
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I was testing a scenario with connecting a Legacy L2 Environment to ACI, in case a Nexus 5K connected via vPC to ACI. And when removing a the Domain configured for it I noticed that with only the Static Port configured, the VMs could still ping the Bridge Domain, only a fault was generated because of the absence of a Domain. However, if I did the same thing for a Baremetal with an Individual Port, it was no longer able to communicate with the Bridge Domain.
So I stumbled upon this post: https://community.cisco.com/t5/application-centric-infrastructure/epg-without-a-physical-domain-association/m-p/4920893#M14605

My Question is:

Is this behaviour possible because it is a Port-Channel or a vPC, since you specify the Policy Group which itself is linked to the VLAN Pool?

BertiniB_0-1694327495323.png

Because if I try this with an Individual Port which I only specify the interface, no Policy Group, it requires the Domain to work. However, the vPC works without a Domain.

Just trying to understand how ACI thinks.

3 Replies 3

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

HI @BertiniB ,

There are a couple of pieces missing in your jig-saw.

Your refer to a VPC connected to a Nexus 5K, and to VMs. Are we supposed to assume that the VMs are attached via the Nexus 5K????

And no matter which way the VMs are connected, is a Virtual Machine Management (VMM) Domain configured to manage ent VMs?

I think I'll wait till I get a clearer picture before replying. Remember, a picture is worth 1000 words.

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

BertiniB
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the reply @RedNectar!
Sorry for the lack of context. Here is my environment:

BertiniB_0-1694371390534.png

I am referring to that box called "Rede Legado Layer 2". And no, those VMs are not connected via VMM Domain. I was using a regular Physical Domain to connect such L2 Legacy environment represented by the N5K.

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @BertiniB ,

I tried to reproduce your scenario, but in my case once the Domain association was deleted, all pings to the Gateway IP stopped.

I made a

video for you

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License