cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

L2 Design Consideration

Net Admins
Level 1
Level 1

I need to connect 2x non-cisco layer 2 switches to ACI which itself will serve as the gateway of multiple vlans/ranges running there.

There's no need to extend the layer 2 domain as it will terminate in ACI and then it's just transit routing to the Fabric and or other L3outs.

In this case, the gateways for these subnets should be created as L3out or just simply bridge domains?

These devices will connect via VPC, although i don't think this is relevant at all.

1 Reply 1

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @Net Admins ,

If ACI is the gateway for these VLANs, and the devices are connected by a single VPC, then all you need do is map each incoming VLAN to an EPG, and link that EPG to the Bridge Domain that has the default gateway IP

Keep away form L3Outs for thsi part of the design - but if the migrated VLANs require access to other subnets or the external world, then you will need to configure a L3Out for that at some point.

I hope this helps.

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem.

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License