cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

L2 End-Point MAC Address Not Attaching to Leaf Switchport Interface

zachartl
Level 1
Level 1
  • Hello, We're transferring legacy network connections to our ACI environment. We've got one that comes up at layer-1 100MB Full-Duplex but the MAC Address won't attach to the interface. We're wondering if the MAC Address is, "too old"? For the ACI Leafs. Yes, we're reaching but can't come to a good conclusion. We've formulated custom interface and link policies to try and accommodate the device, but can't get the MAC introduced to the interface. The MAC Address is 00c0.b77c.8509. So, we're compelled to ask, is there a way to "manually" add the MAC so it is known to the Fabric? We can't do static arp as this is a L2 BD and EPG. L3 Gateway is outside of Fabric. Thank you. ACI Version 4.2(7f)

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Glad to hear you got it working.  Could be related to this bug: https://bst.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCwf04145?rfs=qvred.
Flapping the Link-level possible may fix the issue per the bug workaround.

Robert

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Before we go trying to apply a workaround, we should understand why the fabric is not learning the endpoint.  From the MAC address, the endpoint appears to be a PDU (Power Distribution Unit) - is this correct, can you confirm the exact model? 
What is the Leaf model you are connecting the endpoint to and which transceiver (if any) is being used?

Robert

Hello,

We were able to get this working. Not sure why but the Interface and Link Policy we crafted for this device was accepted and we were able to see the MAC Address attach to the interface, receiving and transmitting traffic. Not sure why this didn't fire earlier in the week but it took yesterday after another attempt. Thank you for your response and inquiry. This is a legacy connection and it predates my tenure. I am unable to find the PDU interface. I was working the cross-connect side via patch-panel. The Leaf Switch is a 9348GC-FXP.

Please know we apologize for the false alarm but Thank you again for coming to our aid!

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Glad to hear you got it working.  Could be related to this bug: https://bst.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCwf04145?rfs=qvred.
Flapping the Link-level possible may fix the issue per the bug workaround.

Robert

Wow! You know, I think that's what we did - inadvertently, working through the interface policy. We were definitely toggling this switch. Amazing after all of these years, being told by various vendors - "we're following the 100MB Full spec to the letter..." And this goes all the way back to Cabletron switches, not a dig at Cisco or anyone else by any means. Over the years, I've been here before.

This very helpful to know. Much obliged to you. If I run into you sometime, you're not paying for your lunch.

Best Regards,

Terry

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License