cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Moving a Subnet Between Bridge Domains

doridor
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everybody, I ran into a problem when trying to delete a subnet from a BD and create the same one on a different BD.
Let me explain the whole use-case, we work with ACI in a Network Centric manner, this means that VLAN=epg/bd.
We created an epg and bd with the wrong name and attached it to all of our servers, we wanted to create a new epg-bd pair (as you cant change an object's name) with the correct name and change the epg on the AAEP that is attached to our servers' interfaces (Note that the vlan encap remained the same) . In order to do so, we deleted the subnet on the old bd, and created the same one on the new bd. for some reason after we changed the epg on the AAEP the servers couldn't reach the gateway, they could only reach each other (that makes sense since they are all on the new epg.

I would love to hear you thoughts,
thank you in advance

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @doridor 

Maybe my understanding of your explanation is wrong, but as far as I read, you created a new BD/EPG, you moved the subnet to the new BD, and you left the static ports configured in old EPG. Correct? Something like this:

SergiuDaniluk_0-1667303836636.png

If that is the case, what you observed, is expected. The EPs are connected in a Layer2 BD after the subnet moved to new BD.

You need to move the static paths to new EPG as well.

Take care,

Sergiu

View solution in original post

It turns out the problem was that I didn't delete the Old AAEP, and two different EPGs were associated with the same encap VLAN

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @doridor 

Maybe my understanding of your explanation is wrong, but as far as I read, you created a new BD/EPG, you moved the subnet to the new BD, and you left the static ports configured in old EPG. Correct? Something like this:

SergiuDaniluk_0-1667303836636.png

If that is the case, what you observed, is expected. The EPs are connected in a Layer2 BD after the subnet moved to new BD.

You need to move the static paths to new EPG as well.

Take care,

Sergiu

Hi @Sergiu.Daniluk,
First off, thank you for answering

You almost got it, I changed the epg in the AAEP that is attached to the EPs ports, which means they are a part of the new EPG

Yep, that is the other way to map encap-vlans to EPGs. Being a not-so-popular alternative makes me to always omit it in conversations. Anyway, happy to hear that your problem was solved. Take care.

Sergiu

Hi @Sergiu.Daniluk,
What I meant that I already mapped the new EPG to the ports, and the servers still couldn't reach the gateway. As I keep thinking about it, It was probably just a miss-configuration by me that created the issue. As it is quite a straight forward process. Thank you for your help anyway.

It turns out the problem was that I didn't delete the Old AAEP, and two different EPGs were associated with the same encap VLAN

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License