Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote-leaf on a 3850x

mr.richardb
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have an infrastructure with a stack of 3850x as the core. WAN links from the IPN are terminated here and ACI remote leaf swithces should be connected also here. My problem is that the config guide states that remote-leaf uplinks should be p2p routed sub-interfaces with vlan-4 tagged. But the 3850 does not support sub-interfaces. Is it possible to overcome in some way?

I see an option, but possibly it won't work. Using an SVI and trunks towards the remote leaf swithces. This would work but I don't think the remote leaf would like 2 IP addresses form the same subnet on the redundant uplinks.

Or the only option is to have a device that can do sub-interface?

Any thoughts?

Regards,

2 Replies 2

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Richard,

It may be  possible to make this work would by using independent IPN devices.  If the devices your RLs are connecting to are a stack, it likely wouldn't work for the reason above.  What should work is connecting each RL only to one IPN device (each with its own SVI on VLAN 4) and then routing between each other and your primary DC.  

Either way, this has not be blessed/validate by QA, so at present the only 'supported' solution is to use devices that support subInts as listed in the PreReq unfortunately.

Robert

Hi Robert,

Thank you. The independent switch with VLANI 4 SVI  would do the trick, but that is not a proper solution, much more of a workaround.

Well, I need that sub-interfaces for sure.

Regards,

Richard

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License