Views
Helpful
Replies

Trying to locate a physical location of an endpoint in ACI fabric

kamokoba
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I am confused by the topology information that i deduce by issuing various show commands on various devices.

For example, I know for sure that IP addr. 10.54.182.20 is within ACI environment because I do find this IP in EP tracker:

EPG.png

By issuing #show endpoints ip 10.54.182.20 and #show vpc map commands on APIC CLI I concluded that 10.54.182.20 exits via interface eth1/10 on leaf switches 1750 and 1751.

Perhaps you would think that eth1/10 connects to a UCS device on which VMs are hosted? But no, eth1/10 are attached to a Cat6509 switch. What's more, this switch is not listed in "Unmanaged fabric nodes" in fabric inventory (at least I do not find the corresponding hostname of Catalyst switch there).

And when I login to that Catalyst switch and issue #show ip route 10.54.182.20 command, I find that 10.54.182.20 exits via port-channel pointing to another distribution switch. So basically 10.54.182.20 beginning from Catalyst switch goes through all the network nodes within legacy environment until it reaches and enters ACI fabric. Part of the topology would look like this:

leaf(e1/10)---(Te2/8)Catalyst(Po54)----DSW----...... 10.54.182.20

My question is: were is the server with IP 10.54.182.20 located? It is definitely not being hosted on Catalyst switch, is it?

Thanks

1 Reply 1

micgarc2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Is the catalyst switch just a l2 switch? Is it possible it is trunked through the cat switch and something is connected behind that switch? If so, I would just track down where this is connected using "show mac address-table address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" on the cat switch to see what interface it is being learned off.

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License