Views
Helpful
Replies

static binding(leaves)

AirBorn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is it possible to use static path  bindings to extend 2 EPG , each on different BD on the same port of a leaf  switch ?

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi @AirBorn ,

So regarding my initial question, the 2 EPG  could be  linked to the same or different  physical domain

Correct

Yes, that is correct.  I could have run the scenario with two physical domains, in which case it could look like below, or I could have also created two VLAN pools (one for each Physical Domain).  However, I'd recommend using the method I suggested in the first place unless there is a reason for splitting into two physical domains, such as if each VLAN were assigned to a different Tenant for instance.

Step#1: Create the Access Policy Chain

1. Create a VLAN Pool, add VLAN 10 and VLAN 20. Call it say MappedVLANs_VLAN.Pool
  2. Create a Physical Domain called say MappedVLANs_PhysDom1. Link it to the MappedVLANs_VLAN.Pool
  3. Create a Physical Domain called say MappedVLANs_PhysDom2. Link it to the MappedVLANs_VLAN.Pool
  4. Create an AAEP called say SAHosts_AAEP. Link it to the MappedVLANs_PhysDom1 physical domain AND the 
  5. MappedVLANs_PhysDom2 physical domain.
  6. Create an Access Port Policy Group called say SAHosts_APPG. Link it to the SAHosts_AAEP AAEP
  7. Create an Interface Profile for switch 101 - let's hope you already have this created, but if not let's say it's called 101_IntProf.
    1. Add an Interface selector to this interface profile called say 1:15_IntSel
    2. Add interface ID 1/15 to 1:15_IntSel
    3. Link 1:15_IntSel to the SAHosts_APPG.
  8. Create a Leaf Profile for switch 101 - let's hope you already have this created, but if not let's say it's called 101_LeafProf.
    1. Add a leaf selector to this leaf profile called say 101_LeafSel
    2. Add Leaf 101 to 101_LeafSel
    3. Link 101_LeafProf to 101_IntProf

Step#2: Configure the Tenant

1. I'll assume you have a tenant called Tenant1
  2. And I'll assume that Tenant1 has a VRF called T1_VRF
  3. And I'll assume you have two Bridge Domains called DB1 and BD2 and both are linked to T1_VRF
  4. Create an Applicaiotn Profile called say T1_AP
    1. In that Applicaiton Profile, create an EPG called EPG1
      1. Link EPG1 to BD1
      2. Link EPG1 to the MappedVLANs_PhysDom1
      3. Statically MAP VLAN 10 on port 101/1/15 (Tagged) to EPG1
    2. In that Applicaiton Profile, create another EPG called EPG2
      1. Link EPG2 to BD2
      2. Link EPG2 to the MappedVLANs_PhysDom2
      3. Statically MAP VLAN 20 on port 101/1/15 (Tagged) to EPG2
RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Remi Astruc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi AirBorn,

Yes, as long as the Physical Domain of the port is assigned in both EPGs, and a different Encapsulation Vlan is set for each EPG.

Remi Astruc

Hi Astruc

As per my understanding , in ACI physical domains are assigned to ports not to EPGs. May be you are referring to the 2 Vlans that must be in the same physical domain.  Right ?

Regardsm

Hi @AirBorn ,

As per my understanding, in ACI physical domains are assigned to ports not to EPGs.

Not exactly. EPGs must be assigned to at least one VMM Domain or Physical Domain. For static mappings such as you describe, your EPG must be linked to one or two Physical Domains, depending on the Access Policy Chain that the physical port lives in. Suggest you google search my explanation of Access Policy Chains

May be you are referring to the 2 Vlans that must be in the same physical domain.  Right ?

The two VLANs will probably be linked to the same Physical Domain, but that is not strictly necessary, each VLAN could be in a different Physical Domain, but unlikely.  My example below will use one Physical Domain.

Suppose you have traffic on VLAN 10 and VLAN 20 arriving on port 101/1/15.  You want VLAN 10 traffic to be classified into EPG1 and VLAN 20 traffic to be classified into EPG2.

1. Create a VLAN Pool, add VLAN 10 and VLAN 20. Call it say MappedVLANs_VLAN.Pool
  2. Create a Physical Domain called say MappedVLANs_PhysDom. Link it to the MappedVLANs_VLAN.Pool
  3. Create an AAEP called say SAHosts_AAEP. Link it to the MappedVLANs_PhysDom physical domain.
  4. Create an Access Port Policy Group called say SAHosts_APPG. Link it to the SAHosts_AAEP AAEP
  5. Create an Interface Profile for switch 101 - let's hope you already have this created, but if not let's say it's called 101_IntProf.
    3. Link 1:15_IntSel to the SAHosts_APPG.
  6. Create a Leaf Profile for switch 101 - let's hope you already have this created, but if not let's say it's called 101_LeafProf.

2. And I'll assume that Tenant1 has a VRF called T1_VRF
  3. And I'll assume you have two Bridge Domains called DB1 and BD2 and both are linked to T1_VRF
      1. Link EPG1 to BD1
      2. Link EPG1 to the MappedVLANs_PhysDom
      1. Link EPG2 to BD2
      2. Link EPG2 to the MappedVLANs_PhysDom

Job done

I hope this helps

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Hi Chris,

So regarding my initial question, the 2 EPG  could be  linked to the same or different  physical domain

Correct

Regards

Hi @AirBorn ,

Correct

Yes, that is correct.  I could have run the scenario with two physical domains, in which case it could look like below, or I could have also created two VLAN pools (one for each Physical Domain).  However, I'd recommend using the method I suggested in the first place unless there is a reason for splitting into two physical domains, such as if each VLAN were assigned to a different Tenant for instance.

1. Create a VLAN Pool, add VLAN 10 and VLAN 20. Call it say MappedVLANs_VLAN.Pool
  2. Create a Physical Domain called say MappedVLANs_PhysDom1. Link it to the MappedVLANs_VLAN.Pool
  3. Create a Physical Domain called say MappedVLANs_PhysDom2. Link it to the MappedVLANs_VLAN.Pool
  4. Create an AAEP called say SAHosts_AAEP. Link it to the MappedVLANs_PhysDom1 physical domain AND the 
  5. MappedVLANs_PhysDom2 physical domain.
  6. Create an Access Port Policy Group called say SAHosts_APPG. Link it to the SAHosts_AAEP AAEP
  7. Create an Interface Profile for switch 101 - let's hope you already have this created, but if not let's say it's called 101_IntProf.
    3. Link 1:15_IntSel to the SAHosts_APPG.
  8. Create a Leaf Profile for switch 101 - let's hope you already have this created, but if not let's say it's called 101_LeafProf.

2. And I'll assume that Tenant1 has a VRF called T1_VRF
  3. And I'll assume you have two Bridge Domains called DB1 and BD2 and both are linked to T1_VRF
      1. Link EPG1 to BD1
      2. Link EPG1 to the MappedVLANs_PhysDom1
      1. Link EPG2 to BD2
      2. Link EPG2 to the MappedVLANs_PhysDom2

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License