cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ace 4710 active/standby SNMP config

rizwanafzal82
Level 1
Level 1

We have 2 x Ace 4710 deployed in Active/Standby config. Since the configuration mode is disabled on the Standby unit, how can we configure the SNMP settings (such as location etc.) on the standby unit different from the active unit?

The 2 devices are in physically separated data centers so the SNMP location settings need to be set differently on both units. The standby unit does not allow any configuration.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Kristopher Martinez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Rizwan,

You will need to disable auto-sync for the configuration and maintain the configuration of both ACEs manually.    The commands to do this are:

no ft auto-sync running-config

no ft auto-sync startup-config

More on these commands:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/services_modules/ace/vA4_1_0/configuration/administration/guide/redundcy.html#wp1040907

You will execute this in the context you want the configuration to be different.  Please be sure to read the limitations and restrictions on these commands and be careful if this is the Admin context.

Regards

Kris

View solution in original post

Comments inline:

Since this is the admin context,  we would better not do this. As i understand correctly, this will turn  off the config sync on the 2 units and we may end up with some issues.

KM - Correct, you need to manually manage the configurations of both devices. 

Also,  if at a later stage, we sync the configs again in the admin context, it  will overwrite the different config on the standby unit with that from  the active unit?

KM - Correct, the device with the lower priority will be overwritten when config-sync is re-enabled.  This is one of the reasons you need to be careful in the Admin context.  For example: Ff the lower priority device has contexts defined that the primary does not, they would be removed when you re-enablethis command.

Since  my requirement is just the SNMP location config, I do not think i  should go for this; rather i can have some descriptive location setting  identifying the 2 units in cluster mode...

KM - This would be more ideal than disabling config sync.  You could also put both locations like this:

snmp-server location "San Jose, CA & Seattle, WA"

Regards

Kris

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Kristopher Martinez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Rizwan,

You will need to disable auto-sync for the configuration and maintain the configuration of both ACEs manually.    The commands to do this are:

no ft auto-sync running-config

no ft auto-sync startup-config

More on these commands:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/services_modules/ace/vA4_1_0/configuration/administration/guide/redundcy.html#wp1040907

You will execute this in the context you want the configuration to be different.  Please be sure to read the limitations and restrictions on these commands and be careful if this is the Admin context.

Regards

Kris

Since this is the admin context, we would better not do this. As i understand correctly, this will turn off the config sync on the 2 units and we may end up with some issues.

Also, if at a later stage, we sync the configs again in the admin context, it will overwrite the different config on the standby unit with that from the active unit?

Since my requirement is just the SNMP location config, I do not think i should go for this; rather i can have some descriptive location setting identifying the 2 units in cluster mode...

Comments inline:

Since this is the admin context,  we would better not do this. As i understand correctly, this will turn  off the config sync on the 2 units and we may end up with some issues.

KM - Correct, you need to manually manage the configurations of both devices. 

Also,  if at a later stage, we sync the configs again in the admin context, it  will overwrite the different config on the standby unit with that from  the active unit?

KM - Correct, the device with the lower priority will be overwritten when config-sync is re-enabled.  This is one of the reasons you need to be careful in the Admin context.  For example: Ff the lower priority device has contexts defined that the primary does not, they would be removed when you re-enablethis command.

Since  my requirement is just the SNMP location config, I do not think i  should go for this; rather i can have some descriptive location setting  identifying the 2 units in cluster mode...

KM - This would be more ideal than disabling config sync.  You could also put both locations like this:

snmp-server location "San Jose, CA & Seattle, WA"

Regards

Kris

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card