Views
Helpful
Replies

ACE backup server query

rathinilesh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am looking to configure static entries in the sticky table for ip A.B.C.D going to "serverZ". From what I know, the connections coming in from A.B.C.D will always first go to serverZ. If serverZ fails then new connections coming in from the static sticky ip will then go to other servers in the serverfarm. Now if serverZ comes back UP the existing connections still stay stuck to the other server in the serverfarm. Is there a way to configure the Cisco ACE to reset the existing connection as soon as serverZ comes back online ?

Regards,

Nilesh

2 Replies 2

Daniel Arrondo Ostiz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Nilesh,

What you are trying to do goes against all load-balancing best practices. When doing load-balancing, all of the servers in the farm are supposed to have the same content, so it should not make a difference to which one a specific address is going (with that in mind, I don't see the need for static sticky entries).

On top of that, once a user is stuck to a server, it should not be moved to a different one. If it does, not only the connection will reset, but they will also lose the session and have to start again (taking for example a online shopping application, the cart would be empty and the user would need to start from scratch)

The bottom line is that, no, you cannot cause all connections to be reset when the original server comes back online.

Regards

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for replying. The content of the servers is the same but the client wanted certain connections always to go to a certain server. Also they had asked connections to other servers be reset as soon as the priority server comes online. I am aware that this kind of a setup cannot be lossless but that is what the client wanted, connections be reset.. period!!

I guess this will require a bit of manual intervention

Regards,

Nilesh