Views
Helpful
Replies

ACE Module - RADIUS authentication against Microsoft NPS

david.stout
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am currently having difficulty getting the correct login role when using RADIUS against Microsoft NPS. When I authenticate I am always assigned the network-monitor role. Here are the settings I am currently using for both ACE and NPS. Can you guys see what's wrong ? I have attached the screen shots from NPS and the radius config / debug output.

Many thanks.

Dave.

4 Replies 4

ciscocsoc
Level 4
Level 4

Hi David,

See similar discussion at https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/463627#463627 - you need to set the AV pair as documented.  I don't use Microsoft's NPS but it should be documented how to set/return the attributes.

HTH

Cathy

I had already tried that this morning as per the attached screen shot. Still did not work.

It's going to be something silly .... always is when it gets like this

Dave.

Ok we have now fixed this.

Under Network Policies I was being matched on my domain user account in the previous network policy being used for a test VPN Service. So even though I was being authenticated, the Cisco AV Pair wasn't being forwarded to the ACE Module because the policy I was being matched to was not the policy I had set up.

So please note that in Microsoft NPS the policy processing order is important. If the conditions match a previous policy then that Network Policy will be processed and chances are you won't get the level of access you require.

Hope this post helps make things clearer.

I have included screenshots of incorrect and correct network policy condition lists.

In the first screenshot I was being matched to the VPN network policy which did not contain the shell:Admin=Admin default-domain Cisco AV-Pair attribute.

Once the order was reversed I was being matched to the IP Address of the originating device and therefore the correct attribute was being forwarded back to the ACE Module.

Found this thread very helpful in diagnosing a similar Radius authentication issue with Microsoft NPS.   Just wanted to add one clarification that I didn't immediately pick up on --  when you're specifying the AV-Pair values,  you are specifying the context and permission level. 

In other words: shell:Admin=Admin default-domain  represents shell:=

The documentation says this, but It didn't jump out at me at first.  Hopefully my post will save someone an hour or so of troubleshooting!