Views
Helpful
Replies

ACE TCP Probe

LOUIS BOISVERT
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Within a TCP Probe, is-it possible to send specials characters like LF or CR with the "send-data" command? If yes, could somebody tel me how to do it?

Thanks,

Louis

6 Replies 6

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Yes, you can do it. However server should also transmit the same string which is expected by the TCP probe.

Example.

probe tcp 50-IL.GTU-PR
  port 6451
  interval 20
  passdetect interval 30
  receive 3
  send-data "<"IL01RQTEST TCP Probe   00000000">"
  expect regex "TCP Probe 00000000>" offset 32

Thanks for the answer.

What would be the synthaxe for sending a LF? Is-it something like:

send-data PING "\r" "\n"

Also when you say "server should also transmit the same string which is expected by the TCP probe" did you meen if I send PING I could not ask the server to send me OK? The probe should expect PING in return?

Louis

Did you ever get a response or find a way to do this?  I have the same issue.  I have a TCP probe in which I must send the word 'quit' follo

wed by a carriage return...can't figure out how to do the CR though...

I've tried [^M], ^M, {ctrl-V}{enter}, "\r\n"

- Erik

I figured out how to put a carriage return in the send-data value!

In this example, I want to send the command "quit", followed by a carriage return.

enter it as:

send-data "quit{ctrl-V}{enter}"

Then it looks like this in the configuration:

probe tcp sftp-6100
  port 6100
  interval 3
  passdetect interval 6
  open 1
  send-data quit
  expect regex "blah\.blah\.servertext"

My only concern is this thing living through a reboot...will it remember that there is a carriage return when it reboots?

- Erik

You are lucky if you find a way to make it worked because I was told by Cisco that it could not be done within a TCP probe. May be it has something to do with the ACE software revision (we use A2(2.3).

For me, I had to used a script probe to make it work.

Louis

I asked Cisco TAC engineer if the probe would survive through a reboot with the special way I entered the text.  He said he was very doubtful, and suggested using a scripted probe instead (which can send hex or coded text like \r\n).

I will get working on a script and we'll see how it goes.

- Erik

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: