cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACE20 - Config Application in Progress Message

jason.williams
Level 1
Level 1

Everytime I make a config change to one of the contexts on our ACE20, I get this message:

Config Application in Progress. This command is queued to the system

If I run show download info, I get:

context : context1

Interface                     Download-status

--------------------------------------------------------------

187                         In Progress

199                             Pending

Regex download optimization status : Couldn't get status[TNRPC Timed out]

It eventually seems to complete, but it takes a very, very long time.

What could be causing this?

We are running Version A2(3.5) [build 3.0(0)A2(3.5)].

Thanks.

Jason

2 Replies 2

Kanwaljeet Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jason,

The issue can happen due to a large configuration file and could be due to acl-merge. This has also been seen in cases when large configuration is pasted on to the terminal.

I would suggest opening a TAC case for further investigation.

A brief background on this:

Displaying the Configuration Download Progress Status

This describes how to display the progress of a configuration download when a large configuration file in the ACE has been applied to a context.

When you apply changes to a configuration file, the ACE downloads the configuration to its data plane. When you perform incremental changes, such as copying and pasting commands in a configuration, the ACE immediately performs the configuration download and does not display any terminal messages at the start or end of the download.

However, in the following situations, the ACE defers the configuration download until the entire configuration is applied to the context:

•A startup configuration at boot time

•Copying of the configuration to the running-configuration file

•A checkpoint rollback

At the start of the deferred download, the ACE displays the following message on all terminals that are logged into the context including a terminal that you log into for the context before the download is done:

Processing has started for applied config

During the download, the ACE locks the context and denies any configuration changes until the download is completed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note We recommend that you do not execute any configuration commands during the deferred download. The ACE does not deny you from entering configuration changes. But the changes will not occur until the download is completed. If the command times out during the download, the following message appears:

Config application in progress. This command is queued to the system.

The ACE does not queue the command immediately, however, the ACE processes and executes the command when the download is completed even if the command times out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can execute the show download information command to monitor the progress of the download. You can also execute show commands that do not have interaction with the configuration manager (cfgmgr). For example, these commands include the show acl-merge, show interface, show context, show crypto files, and show fifo commands.

The show commands that have interaction with the cfgmgr do not work when the download occurs. For example, these commands include the show access-list, show conn, show domain, show running-config, and show service-policy commands. If you execute a cfgmgr show command during the download, the following error message occurs:

System Busy: Config application in progress

At the end of the deferred download, the ACE displays the follow message on all terminals that are logged into the context:

Processing has finished for applied config

Regards,

Kanwal

Actually I think I found my issue.  I did not know this beforehand, but I had added double wildcards to some regex class map entries, and apparently it was killing the system.  Since I removed the entries, I haven't had this problem reappear.

Thank you for the information though.

Jason.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: