Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASR IOs Upgrade

m-abooali
Level 4
Level 4

Hi folks,

I have two Cisco ASR 1002 routers. I want to upgrade them to the latest IOS. I have downloaded:Cisco ASR 1000 Series RP1 IP BASE
asr1000rp1-ipbasek9.03.02.01.S.151-1.S1.bin

would this IOS supports IP routing like BGP?

also, is the upgrade on ASR routers like any other routers? I have not worked with Cisco ASR routers before.

Please advise,

Best Regards,

Masood

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

1. Copy the IOS into the bootflash:;
2. Check and compare the MD5 hash value of the IOS in the bootflash:;
3. Change the boot variable statement instructing the router to boot the new IOS in the bootflash:;
4. Ensure the config-registry value is 0x2102;
5. Save the config; and
6. Reboot the router.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Ben Samayoa
Level 1
Level 1
Hi there, please have a read on this link, which I feel will be of help for you on the ASR's upgrade procedures and more: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr1000/configuration/guide/chassis/xe-16-7/asr1000-software-config-guide-16-7/issu-asr.pdf Regards, Ben

Thank you. I will .

Best Regards,

Masood

HI,

ok, I am reading through this document. it referring to:

URL-to-consolidated-packag

so, consolidated package is the ios.bin file? or the whole package including web interfaces, etc.!? do I need to upgrade RP ( route processor) too? what I am reading is somehow different from all the upgrades I have performed on Cisco routers and switches, just normal IOS upgrades.

I will read through this document making sure I understand what it says but some info on how this IOS is different from other normal IOS s would be very helpful please.

Please advise,

Best Regards,

Masood

HI,

this document only talks about ISSU upgrade but 1002 ASr routers doesn't support ISSU. I have not been able to find document explaining upgrade on ASr1002 non-ISSU upgrade!?

ASR 1002 Router

NOT  ASR1002X

any suggestions please?

Best Regards,

Masood

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Read the Release Notes very carefully. You can't just go from 3.2.X to 3.16.X unless you upgraded the ROMMON first.

Hi,

I am only trying to upgrade IOS on two Cisco ASR 1002 routers. document only talks about ISSU method on upgrading and not the standard method.

Best Regards,

Masood

1. Copy the IOS into the bootflash:;
2. Check and compare the MD5 hash value of the IOS in the bootflash:;
3. Change the boot variable statement instructing the router to boot the new IOS in the bootflash:;
4. Ensure the config-registry value is 0x2102;
5. Save the config; and
6. Reboot the router.

Thank you.

Thank you. I has not used ISSU before and I was wondering if ARS1002 was different from upgrading normal routers. this answers my question. thanks again. ASr 1002 doesn't support ISSU.

Best Regards,

Masood

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: