Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WAAS with Cisco DMS video solution

adamgrimes
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone

We are looking to implement the Cisco DMS video solution on network, we will be using the show and share server for the video portal and will be using video on demand content only for progressive downloads.

To get around the problem of the video files traversing our network in working hour, we are looking to use WAAS pre-positioning to preposition the video content out to the branch sites out of hours.

As the show and share server has limitations on the number of concurrent WMV files it can run, the majoriety of our content will be flash based. This makes a difference when using WAAS prepositiing as only CIFS based content can be fully cached on the local WAE where as the flash content will be prepositioned into the dre cache but is still served from the source server.

My questions is, has anyone used Cisco WAAS prepositiing in conunction with the Cisco Show and Share video solution? did you run into any problems with users viewing flash content from the dre cache?

With regards to disk space on the branch WAE, how did you monitor this and stop the cache from being filled with video content only, I was thinking of using quota's on the source server side?

Many thanks in advance!

Adam

4 Replies 4

ahskhan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Adam,

Did you looked at DMS + ACNS solution. WAAS and DMS solution would work great for DMP's. However I would recommend to look at DMS+ACNS solution as well and see if this better fits your needs.

Below link is from old 5.0 code on DMS, but can explain the solution in general.

http://cisco.biz/en/US/prod/collateral/video/ps9339/ps6681/prod_white_paper0900aecd8052f42e.pdf

Ahsan

ahskhan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Adam,

Did you looked at DMS + ACNS solution. WAAS and DMS solution would work great for DMP's. However I would recommend to look at DMS+ACNS solution as well and see if this better fits your needs.

Below link is from old 5.0 code on DMS, but can explain the solution in general.

http://cisco.biz/en/US/prod/collateral/video/ps9339/ps6681/prod_white_paper0900aecd8052f42e.pdf

Ahsan

Hi Ahsan

Thankyou for your quick response

We have proposed to our customer to look at the ACNS solution as wel but due to budget constraints we will need to use WAAS as they already have WAAS in place and it would require no additional HW or SW.

Have you used WAAS with DMS before? do you know what the best way to manage disk space utilization on the WAE would be? I was going to set the preposition task to use differential so we only send what has changed since the last preposition. Does this actually compare whats in the cache and only send what has changed or does it compare what has been modified in the CIFS folder since the last preposition?

Have you used flash content with propositioning?

Thanks

Adam

Hi Adam,

I have not personally used Specific flash content with WAAS prepositioning. WAAS prepositioning works only for CIFS protocol, where as Show and Share will use HTTP URL. I guess I would need more understanding of this issue.

My experience with WAAS + DMS is for Digital Signage, may be some one on this list can share his experience with Show and Share and WAAS. Thanks.

Ahsan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: