Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Web Cache

masterson79
Level 1
Level 1

Hi experts

Does Cisco have some Web Cache solution similar to NetCache solution?

Can I use the WAE-612 + WAAS software as web cache solution?

Thanks in advance

masterson79

7 Replies 7

colin.mcnamara
Level 4
Level 4

In short, yes. Cisco used to have the cisco cache engine.

Now that is replaced with the WAAS appliance which is more of a multifunction cache.

Where as the older caches were primarily http based. The WAAS devices are looking for patterns in tcp based applications. It is pretty cool technology.

If you find this helpful, please rate it.

--Colin

Hi Colins, thanks

For Web Cache purposes, should I use the ACNS or WAAS software? What do you recommend?

Regards

I don't know about Colin but I recomend ACNS. It has wide functionality for web cache

Well, WAAS and ACNS go hand in hand.

Where WAAS is focused towards general data replay and CIFS acceleration, ACNS focused more towards streaming and rich media.

I think 90% of customers will get a bigger bang for the buck with WAAS.

--Colin

jeffgurley
Level 1
Level 1

I am researching the web caching ability of WAE 612 and other similar devices.

We want it to act as a true web caching appliance and it seems the ACNS is the right module. What would be an excellent web caching design for 10K+ users??

I have no present need of web application acceleration over the wan.

In sum, an in line deployment of web caching appliances is what is required.

Will the 512/612 series do the trick for basic caching? and can it be configured in an ICAP configuration?

Jeff, ACNS is definitely the right module for web caching. It cannot be deployed inline, but is usually deployed out of line and receives traffic via WCCP, L 4-7 switch or defined browser proxy. The WAEs can be scaled depending on the volume and TPS of web traffic. ICAP is supported, see http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/acns/v55/configuration/local/guide/55ldg.html

bhedlund
Level 4
Level 4

10K users? What is the problem you are trying to solve with a web cache? Careful, with all the dynamic content on the internet these days web caching is not as effective as it was 6 years ago. The larger the user base, the larger the variety of traffic, which also presents challenge.

Please engage your Cisco account team to discuss your requirements and this solution in greater detail.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: