cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Content Engine transaction logs -- monitoring and analysis

axa-wongjeff
Level 1
Level 1

At our remote sites there's a local Cisco CE511 to ease our WAN bandwidth. I have been tasked to find a method to gather CE usage for trending and troubleshooting.

From my search on the internet I decided to go with the Webalizer application. I setup the CEs to export their transaction logs every hour to my FTP server. After a test of Webalizer on a log file, it produced a nice HTML report for that hour.

I would like to discuss with anyone on bringing this up to a new level. I would like webalizer to run as a cron job, but the log file names changes every hour. So that's a hurdle I need to figure out. Also keeping track of user web hits is important. I would like to make sure my reports are accurate in reporting what IP address is the top talker.

I hope this will start a productive exchange of ideas. Thanks.

1 Reply 1

Not applicable

Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) is an interoperable standards-based protocol that allows for external monitoring of the Content Engine through an SNMP agent.

An SNMP-managed network consists of three primary components: managed devices, agents, and management systems. A managed device is a network node that contains an SNMP agent and resides on a managed network. Managed devices collect and store management information and use SNMP to make this information available to management systems that use SNMP. Managed devices include routers, access servers, switches, bridges, hubs, computer hosts, and printers.

An SNMP agent is a software module that resides in a managed device. An agent has local knowledge of management information and translates that information into a form compatible with SNMP. The SNMP agent gathers data from the Management Information Base (MIB), which is the repository for information about device parameters and network data. The agent can also send traps, or notification of certain events, to the manager.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/conntsw/ps491/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080236630.html#wp1101506

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card