Views
Helpful
Replies

CSS 11500 - Keepalive script to remotely execute a shell script on a server

leonardof
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I've been trying to connect the dots but so far I've got nothing close to what I need - based on Cisco's documentation.

I was wondering if it was possible for the CSS switch to connect to a server in order to execute a shell script such as "/opt/whatever/script.sh", which would return a specific value like "OK". Anything different than OK would mean a dead service, and the affected service would be taken out of business (no load balancing play).

Could someone confirm whether it can be done?

Many thanks!!

Leo

2 Replies 2

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Leo,

you could try to use CSS script to telnet to the server, and execute the command.

But that would be ugly.

What you should do, is put your script inside a cgi webpage and let the CSS call the webpage.

Your webserver will then run the script that you want and return to result inside and HTML page to the CSS which can then decide on the status of the server.

If you do not have a web server, you should create a small tcp server to listen to CSS request and again send the result of the script back to css.

Gilles.

Gilles,

Interesting solution of yours. I am going to discuss it with my customer and I think this particular tip might end up being useful.

Thanks for your help!

Leo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: