Views
Helpful
Replies

CSS applications

aiyappa
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry as this is a general question.

What are the applications that can be load web applications. Can I use ibalanced using the CSS other than t for mail servers or any other type of servers.

Please help

Thank you

Regard

Sanjith

6 Replies 6

michael.e.reid
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sanjith,

The CSS can be used to loadbalance on any TCP port I believe so any application cab be load balanced (even if you just balance on an IP address level)

It can also be configured to loadbalance UDP ports via the 'flow state' commands.

cheers,

Mike

Thank you for the response.

At the application level the CSS can load balance http traffic. Similarly are there any other applications it can load balance.

Also can I load balance between mail servers. Incase yes then how can I do it

Thanks again

Regards

Sanjith

Sanjith,

We load balance our mail services by creating a content rule that balances on incoming TCP traffic with a port of 25 (SMTP)

cheers,

Mike

Sanjith,

we can loadbalance at different level

L3: IP : so we look the destination ip only to match a content rule

L4: TCP/UDP: we look at destination ip and port.

L5/7: HTTP: we look at destination ip, destination port and some data in the HTTP header like the url.

So, you can loadbalance mail server using a L3 rule or L4 rule.

You can't use a L5 rule as the CSS does not understand the SMTP protocol.

But normally, there is no need to inspect the SMTP packet to make a loadbalancing decision.

Using a L4 rule is enough.

Regards,

Gilles.

Thank you so much

Just one last question.As per what I have understood untill now the load balancing can happen at L3/L4/L5/L7. Hence I really dont have to worry if the customer is using some fancy application as long as I know what port number the application is operating on and there should be no issues load balancing any server like say MySQL servers and SMTP/iMAP Servers.

I hope I have got this right?

Thank you

Regards

Sanjith

Sanjith,

you got it right.

Gilles.