cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FT VLAN / Trunk or L3 Interface? ACE 4710 setup

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello, Is it possible to use 1 or 2 of the 4 gigabit ethernet ports from one ACE straight into the other ACE for redundancy?

So ACE_01 gig0/4 to ACE_02 gig0/4

If so, is it a case of just having the layer 3 config instead of trunking etc..

Also - is it possible to create a context within the same vlan as the Admin context?

Thank you

Please rate useful posts and remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.       

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kanwaljeet Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Bilal,

You need to configure a FT VLAN which should be dedicated to FT traffic only. It cannot be simple L3 interface IP configuration. It has to be a VLAN.

And yes you can use the vlan being used in Admin context in another context.

I would also suggest going through the below link for some important guidelines about FT:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/services_modules/ace/vA5_1_0/configuration/getting/started/guide/redundancy.html

Let me know if you have any doubts.

Regards,

Kanwal

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Kanwaljeet Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Bilal,

You need to configure a FT VLAN which should be dedicated to FT traffic only. It cannot be simple L3 interface IP configuration. It has to be a VLAN.

And yes you can use the vlan being used in Admin context in another context.

I would also suggest going through the below link for some important guidelines about FT:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/services_modules/ace/vA5_1_0/configuration/getting/started/guide/redundancy.html

Let me know if you have any doubts.

Regards,

Kanwal

Hello Kanwal, thank you for this. This is my first pair of ACE's configuring from scratch.

I've dedicated int gi1/4 for the ft 'transit' traffic if you like - its dedicated on a separate vlan. So both ACE's are connected directly on this port.

I have two VLANs - 724 & 725

And 3 contexts. Admin, NPE, DEV

The Admin Context lives in VLAN 724 I created another context (NPE) in the same VLAN. Do I have to use a different address for the interface in this context or can I use the same as the Admin context?

SQP-ACE4710-NPE01/FOS_NPE# conf t

Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.

SQP-ACE4710-NPE01/FOS_NPE(config)# interface vlan 724

SQP-ACE4710-NPE01/FOS_NPE(config-if)# ip address 172.27.24.5 255.255.255.0

Error: Specified ip address duplicates with an existing ip address configured in the context

Thank you

Please rate useful posts and remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

hI Bilal,

You cannot have same interface IP address but you can share the VLAN. Each context is like an instance of ACE and you cannot have same IP address on different interfaces.

Regards,

Kanwal

Thank you for confirming this Kanwal.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: