cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple "vserver" for different apps in a single VLAN (Bridge Mode)

johankc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm deploying Cat6500 with CSM-S & FWSM modules. Doing bridge mode for the CSM (and FWSM will do the inter-VLAN routing upfront).

There are 3 (three) different applications (Vidiator, BEA & XIAM) placed in the Internet VLAN. Each application consist of multiple servers. Two applications (BEA & XIAM) need to be load-balanced, and the other one (Encoder) in the same VLAN does NOT need to be load-balanced.

The questions are:

- Is it possible to create multiple virtual servers (vserver) for different applications (BEA & XIAM) on the same VLAN client/server ?

- Is it also possible to do Load Balancing only for some Servers (BEA & XIAM) on one VLAN, while other servers (Encoder) on the same VLAN do NOT need load-balance? If, so what is the method? If not, what should be done?

Below is the script for CSM-S that I'm planning to deploy, please kindly provide your comments and advices.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Johan KC

MY SCRIPT:

module ContentSwitchingModule 9

!

vlan 96 client

ip address 10.67.96.9 255.255.252.0

alias 10.67.96.8 255.255.252.0

!

vlan 296 server

ip address 10.67.96.9 255.255.252.0

!

!

vserver BEA-PROXY-WEB

virtual 10.67.96.1 tcp www

vlan 96

server farm BEA-PROXY-SERVERS

replicate csrp connection

persistent rebalance

inservice

!

server farm BEA-PROXY-SERVERS

nat server

no nat client

real 10.67.96.2

inservice

real 10.67.96.5

inservice

probe ICMP

!

server farm XIAM-WEB-SERVERS

nat server

no nat client

real 10.67.96.26

inservice

real 10.67.96.29

inservice

probe ICMP

!

!

vserver XIAM-WEB

virtual 10.67.96.25 tcp www

vlan 96

server farm XIAM-WEB-SERVERS

replicate csrp connection

persistent rebalance

inservice

2 Replies 2

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

you can create multiple vservers but you need a way to differentiate them.

Are they using different TCP ports ?

If not, is it HTTP traffic and is there some data inside the HTTP header to make the distinction between the different apps ?

Regarding the devices that do not need loadbalancing, does it mean you have only 1 encoder ? Don't you expect to have more in the future ?

What you can do is configure a vserver that will use a serverfarm with a unique real server. Like this there is no loadbalancing.

The traffic will always be sent to the only real server.

You could also have the server in the internet vlan and client accessing it directly.

The advantage of using the first solution is that if you get more servers in the future you can add them to the serverfarm and the csm will start loadbalancing. No redesign needed.

Gilles.

Hi Gilles,

Thanks a lot for your respond.

1. For the multiple vservers.

Both applications provide HTTP service but think that I could run them on different port number: 80 and 8080. Will this work?

2. About the non-loadbalancing apps (encoder).

There are two servers and future adding is possible. They can work independently of each other. Both servers just provide FTP access, for content provider to upload files.

Since both servers will run the same service (FTP) and port number, I don't think we can create two vservers for them, right?

You also said that I could have the server in the internet vlan and client accessing it directly. Is this mean that no vserver config needed? So, from FWSM the client traffic will go straight to the servers (without passing the CSM)?

If this is possible, sound like good option to me.

Please kindly provide your advice/comments.

Thanks again.

Best Regards,

Johan KC

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card