cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 1000v with Warm Standby Only

kbrown.it
Level 1
Level 1

I am new to Nexus 1000v and have learned a lot and managed to get my one system working with a couple VM Guests. I used the Installed that came with 4.2.1 SV2.1.1a and did a Dual VSM setup. The installer had some issues after the Primary was configured and timed out. It seemed the Secondary wouldn't completely come up and this caused the issue. I have sense rebuilt the Secondary and configurd the Primary. Now I am trying to get the Secondary to go into HA with the Primary but it does not seem to want to boot all the way.

When I run "show system redundancy status" with the Secondary up, it says the Primary is active with a warm standby and that the control connectivity is down, but it still detected there was another VSM. "Show module" says the status of the Secondary is Powered-Up, but no Model information is listed. They are both on the same Control Network (same VLAN), but they do not talk to each other. I am at a loss as to the problem at hand. Does any one have any ideas or settings I can check?

4 Replies 4

kbrown.it
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone have any thoughts? The Control VLAN is on the Nexus 1000V and all of the Control and Packet interfaces are on it with the same VLAN (running in L3 mode). I have tried the Control and Packet interfaces on the vSwitch and a vDS created in VMWare, either of them worked. When I start the secndary, it detects it but the module doesn't go into Standby. It also can't figure out what model oand serial number it is.

Still looking for some help on this. If more information is needed, please let me know. I don't mind the Warm Standby, the issue is the config does not sync over. So if the Warm Standby becomes active, it will not have an updated running config.

Hi Gauray,

I have looked through the documnets before I posted here and went through them again to see if I missed something. I didn't find anything that helped me resolve the issue. The only thing I do have is that it says the Control Network is down when I do a Show Mod, but I am not sure how I can test communication between the two systems on that network.

I have even rebuilt the secondary using the same package I used for the first one and it still does not connect into HA (Domain ID and VLANs are all correct).

When I do a show system internal log sysmgr verctrl on the Active (with the Standby on), I get the following message:

standby_verctrl_remote_notify: unable to send version database: No route to host (113)- exiting with SYSMGR_EXITCODE_SYSERR.

The Control network (Control and Packet on L3) is setup in the Nexus 1000V on it's own VLAN.