cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

questions concerning CSS11000 (telnet-client ?, paste many lines?)

wagnerch
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have some questions concerning CSS11000 (CSS11051-AC).

I would like a telnet-client on the switch so that I can try to reach a service through "telnet <ip-address of server> <port-number>". Is this possible?

A second question would be:

How can I copy and paste a config-change into the content-switch? I do this on a cisco router by copying eg. 20 lines into clipboard and pasting it to telnet-client of my pc. When I do this on the content-switch only the first line functions.

Regards,

Chris

5 Replies 5

murabi
Level 4
Level 4

I am not sure if you would be able to have a telnet client on the switch.But there is a to allow users to access PCs and servers from remote locations by configuring pcAnywhere feature.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/117/css_pcanywhere.html

Regarding the second question:

Please check if the emulation software you are using supports the keys used by you to paste. Sometimes this might be responsible for the lines not getting pasted properly.

Another reason could be that the exit commands might not have been typed to come out of one mode before getting into the other.

I would like a telnet client to have the ability to telnet from css to unix-servers and to telnet to the application port for checking if the service on the server is ok. (I cannot do this with pcanywhere).

Regarding the second question:

I am using eg. tera term which pastes fine for cisco routers but if I paste two or more lines to a css the css cannot use the input. Seems the css has no "flow-control or enough buffering" for the telnet input. I do not know any ESC-command which would help in this situation.

How do you change many lines very fast??

Regards,

Chris

tgibbs
Level 1
Level 1

It is not possible to run a telnet Client from the CSS. At the time of development from Arrowpoint, it was deemed a security weekness. (At least that was the answer I received from an Arrowpoint employee.)

The problem with pasting Configs is down the the lack of any type of flow control support from the CSS Switch. It basically pastes too fast and the switch can't keep up with it.

You can slow down the rate in which characters are pasted in from most applications ( such as hyperterm or Terra term.) The key words you are looking are line delay and character delay . A delay of 7ms will be plenty.

Also make sure that you type 'expert' in super user mode to stop the prompts.

Tony Gibbs

Cisco Trainer.

Thanks for the info,

the only problem I have is that the line/char-delay only works over serial connection (at least for tera term) and I am most of the time working over telnet via network.

Regards,

Chris

Chris,

I also have run into this. The way I solved it was to telnet into the CSS from one of my other switches (using it as a telnet proxy of sorts), this seems to slow down the input enough to do large paste jobs. The other thing I found was to be sure to eliminate all leading spaces as the CSS doesn't understand them well. Hope this helps!

Craig