Views
Helpful
Replies

SMB - Join Domain

David Shaw
Level 1
Level 1

I am reviewing that SMBv3  signing is now available in WAAS v6.1

The documentation does not indicate if the WAAS devices need to be joined to the Windows Domain for this to work. Given that this is required on our Riverbeds I need confirmation on the steps for Accelrating SMB traffic on a WAAS 6.1 System. Given that SMB Signing acceleration is a security override of a clients SMB traffic I assume the WAAS should have some sort windows security access.

The documents make no mention of the Windows Domain configuration except for when using MAPI. I think this may be a miss in the documentation or they assume it was done for MAPI and is there for SMB.

Can anyone provide some answers this? Does the DC and/or the Branch WAAS need to be on teh domain?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Charlie Jones
Level 1
Level 1

Hi David,

We are in the process of implementing a new WAAS infrastructure and while troubleshooting an issue, SMB optimization came up.  Our TAC engineer mentioned the need for AD integration for SMB v3.0.  We are going to be setting that up tomorrow.  From the documentation we received, it is the same setup for optimizing MAPI.  We were referred to the following white paper.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/routers/wide-area-application-services-waas-software/emapi_ad_configuration.pdf

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Charlie Jones
Level 1
Level 1

Hi David,

We are in the process of implementing a new WAAS infrastructure and while troubleshooting an issue, SMB optimization came up.  Our TAC engineer mentioned the need for AD integration for SMB v3.0.  We are going to be setting that up tomorrow.  From the documentation we received, it is the same setup for optimizing MAPI.  We were referred to the following white paper.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/routers/wide-area-application-services-waas-software/emapi_ad_configuration.pdf

Thanks Charles,

I got the same information from our Cisco as well. Seems the documentation just does not link this requirement or they assumed you already did the MAPI configuration which we are not going to do at this.

Hi Charlie & David,

We too are in the process of implementing a WAAS infrastructure; however I cannot get the WAVE (8541 & 694) Appliances to join our Active Directory Domain.  Is there something we are missing in our process.  We created computer accounts and DNS entries for the devices.  We also have a Service Account created that has the rights to add them to the Domain.   We even had Domain Admins with high right privileges try to join the devices with no go.  What procedure did you use to join you devices to your domains?

After upgraded my devices to software version 6.4.3; I was able to add them to the Domain without having to re-activate SMBv1.