cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SRE-700 memory configuration

achong
Level 1
Level 1

The SRE-700 comes configured with 2x2M DRAM. I have an SRE-700 with 2x4M DRAM installed but it gives alarms about unsupported configuration as 8M although it is working and optimising traffic. I want to remove one of the 4M module but not sure if the the SRE-700 will work if only one memory module is installed or it needs to have a matching pair of memory moduled (i.e 2x2M)?

Andrew                 

4 Replies 4

Nicolas Fournier
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Andrew,

Are you sure it is a SRE-700 and not a SRE-900 which has the 8Gb of RAM?

AFAIK, 700's should only come with 4Gb and only the 900's should be upgradable to 8Gb.

If it is indeed a 900, then your issue is most then likely due to the following bug: CSCtl12169 SM-SRE 900/910: Should support 8GB memory.

More info: http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCtl12169

If it is indeed a 700, I would try with a single 4Gb DIMM knowing keeping in mind that this could be unsupported on a 700.

Regards,

Nicolas

Hi Nicolas,

Yes, this is a SRE-700, not a SRE-900. The reason it had 8M is because it was ordered with additional 4M memory (don't know why or how it was allowed to be done when the SRE-700 only supported 4M). I can just remove one 4M and try but I just wondered if someone has experienced this or had a module with a single 4M installed. I am trying to avoid unnecessary down time. If the single memory configuration is not supported then I need to request for an order for 2x2M memory.

I am hoping someone from Cisco support will be able to answer this memory configuration issue.

Regards,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I've double checked on multiple SRE-700 and it really seems that they are all supposed to be shipped with 2 X 2GB DIMMs.

Now regarding the one you have:

Will running a single 4GB DIMM cause any issue? Most then likely it won't.

Is it supported to run a single 4GB DIMM? From the info I've found, it is not.

Regards,

Nicolas

Ok, Nicolas, thanks for your response. In that case I guess the right thing would be to order 2x2M DRAM to replace the 2x4M for a supported configuration.

Regards,

Andrew