Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SSH CONFIGURATION

hi everyone i am setting up a lab on cisco packet tracer to create an access via ssh. I created both a dns server (from which the encryption keys will be generated via ssh), two PCs and a switch in the center. On the switch I configured the vlan 1 (the only vlan), with ip 192.168.1.5 while the dns server, pc1 and pc 2 respectively 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4.
Pings work properly.
When I go to pc1 from the telnet / ssh icon and try to connect with ssh with ip 192.168.1.5 it always gives me this message:
The current session has closed. Do you want restablish a new session with the previous session options?

However in the ssh configuration I set username and password as per exercise in the initial ssh configuration
What did I do wrong?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Are you trying to ssh to the switch?

there is no ip address configured on the switch

try this on switch - 

int vlan 1
ip add 192.168.1.5 255.255.255.0
no sh
exit

line vty 0 4
transport input ssh 
exit

Then use the telnet/ssh client to connect to 192.168.1.5 from the PC.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

the packet tracer file you gave had vlan 1 administratively shutdown and no ip address 

once you assign an ip address you have to do unshut the interface to make it active

thats why i used no shut

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

omz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi 

Can you share the packet tracer file?

Thanks

I have tried to attach the file but it does not allow me to attach the .pkt extension of cisco packet tracer how can I do?

try zipping the file before attaching

Ah ok thank. this is file

Are you trying to ssh to the switch?

there is no ip address configured on the switch

try this on switch - 

int vlan 1
ip add 192.168.1.5 255.255.255.0
no sh
exit

line vty 0 4
transport input ssh 
exit

Then use the telnet/ssh client to connect to 192.168.1.5 from the PC.

Hope this helps

it worked, however, before launching the commands you posted, I launched show running config and I saw that vlan1 was set as why? Then why did you use the "no sh" command?

the packet tracer file you gave had vlan 1 administratively shutdown and no ip address 

once you assign an ip address you have to do unshut the interface to make it active

thats why i used no shut

yes thank you for everything I finished the chapter and I understood everything. From what I understand cisco you must first finish the chapter you cannot immediately follow the examples page by page but first finish the chapter and then execute. anyway thanks for everything

glad to help!
and yes its good to read through the chapter and then experiment if you are learning new things ...
but if you are not afraid to experiment and ask questions .. the things you will learn this way .. you will never forget :)
good luck with your studies .. always ask questions .. this community is awesome and everyone is willing to help :)

however I had skipped the transport input ssh command. But in the ccna book that I am studying official book icdn / 1 and 2 there is the configuration of the ssh the procedure then after a few more pages it talks about the transport input command ssh I thought that the exercise could already be done without the command was there in my opinion mistake