Views
Helpful
Replies

Transparent Caching using CSM on Cat6500

s-ralli
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

need help in configuring transparent caching using CSM on cat6500.

I shall be thankful if anyone could provide some useful info/configuration guidelines with a little explaination of the steps involved.

TIA

Sudhir

9 Replies 9

jfoerster
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Sudhir,

all informations necessary are given in the following link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2706/products_configuration_example09186a008009448a.shtml

I configured transparent caching with a CSM in that way but left the noncachable part away...

Kind Regards,

Joerg

Dear Mr Joerg,

I tried using the configuration example, shown by the URL sent by you, but I am not able to configure both vlans with the same address as shown in the example, I keep getting the message about address overlaps ...

Can I request you to share your configuration with me so that I may also understand and try to implement it ?

I shall appreciate if you could send your configuration (with all private info, masked ofcourse) with a brief explaination of

vlans to be configured for MSFC.

Vlans to be configured for CSM ( I think that I need to create all vlans on the CSM also, and assign IP address to them from their respective subnets with gateway pointing to the MSFC address)

where the Physical server (Real) is to be placed and how to route the client PCs web requests to the Real server so that it may go out and fetch the content and deliever it back to the client PCs.

waiting for your reply

Thanks

Sudhir

Hi Sadhir,

if you want to have serverfarm and clients in the same subnet, you need to configure the CSM LB in bridge mode.

Try this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2706/products_configuration_example09186a00800946e0.shtml

If you have clients and serverfarm in different subnets, you need to use router(secure) mode, and then you need to have addresses from different subnets.

br, Natalia

Thanks Natalia,

I know it already and have configured the Cat6500 accordingly. But even when I try to assign same address to both the client and server vlan as depicted in the sample configuration , I get the address overlaps error.

Anyways , thats not the thing I am after.

I have configured the CSM in routed mode only, i.e the client and server vlan are in different subnets.

and want to do transparent caching .

TIA

Sudhir

Do you plan to have reverse proxy cache or transparent cache for clients? Can you describe more detail the design or your requirenments?

Transparent Cache for clients only. The design is quite simple actually.

I have a cat6500 with 5-6 vlans on MSFC which is connected to the external router for internet. Requirement is to make the clients on these vlans browse/download content from the internet trasnparently without specifying proxy address in IE.

Thanks

Sudhir

Hello Sudhir,

in regards of the configuration I have to work over it a little bit as it is a comlex szenario using transparent caching as the final loadbalancing decission. The rest of the config wouldn't help as this would more or less confuse people.

Maybe we could do it the other way round you send me the config and I will have a look at it. Furthermore a little drawing where are the clients and the CEs and the Internet would be helpfull.

Kind Regards,

Joerg

PS

Sorry for the late reply but I'm quite lot at customer site and do not always have access to my eMails...

Thanks Joerg,

where can I send the inputs ? Pls give your email id.

Sudhir

vlan 10 client

ip address 10.0.0.1

vlan 20 server

ip address 20.0.0.1

!

vlan 30 server

ip address 30.0.0.1

gateway 30.0.0.2

!

serverfarm caches

no nat server

no nat client

real 20.0.0.2

inservice

real 20.0.0.3

inservice

predictor hash url

!

serverfarm forward

no nat server

no nat client

predictor forward

inservice

!

vserver Intercept

virtual 0.0.0.0 /0 tcp 80

vlan 10

serverfarm caches

inservice

!

vserver fromcache

virtual 0.0.0.0 /0 tcp 80

vlan 20

predictor forward

inservice

!

This is the basic of transparent caching.

Use the command 'sho mod csm X vsever name intercept detail' to see if there are HITS on this rule.

Do the same for the other vserver.

Make sure to use the vlan commands to make sure traffic from the caches and from the clients are not using the same rule.

If this does not work, try to find out what is not working exactly.

Is it traffic not going to cache ?

Is it a problem with traffic from the cache ?

Regards,

Gilles.