cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using ACE4710 to redirect DNS requests to redundant data center

lucas.shelton1
Level 1
Level 1

We are turning up a second data center for DR and will be using our ACE4710 to intercept DNS requests should Site A go down.  We currently have two internet links, both 10G, both using Centurylink.  Site A has a 10G connection, Site B has a 10G connection (250 miles away).  Between the two sites we have a 10G layer two connection.  We are also using PfR to load balance internet traffic between the sites.

I have little experience with the 4710's and load balancing in general.  The 4710's are already configured to load balance incoming traffic to our server environment.  We need to setup a DR process that allows us to quickly turn up our redundant DC in case of catastrophic failure.  Currently at site A we have DNS, and in case of failure would want the 4710 to intercept DNS requests and send them to site B.

I need help in doing this.  Any advice?

6 Replies 6

lucas.shelton1
Level 1
Level 1

Bump

Hi Lucas,

ACE GSS can redirect requests to different data centres depending upon their availability etc. I believe you are looking GSLB solution which is not possible with ACE. ACE can loadbalance DNS requests but cannot answer them. It can forward the request to servers in the serverfarm which would be DNS servers.  If you are looking for something else, please elaborate and i will reply.

Regards,

Kanwal

Note: Please mark answers if they are helpful.

A couple things.  I found this guide which specifically states the 4710 can do load balancing:  

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/interfaces_modules/services_modules/ace/vA5_1_0/configuration/slb/guide/slbgd.pdf

What you're describing is what we need to do.  If data center A goes down, we need the 4710 to intercept DNS requests and send them to our DR data center.  Could you assist with this?

Hi Lucas,

Yes ACE can do load balancing. But cannot answer DNS requests. If you want the ACE to loadbalance, then it is like simple loadbalancing configuration that you need to do.

If you need assistance with same, please let me know.

Regards,

Kanwal

So ACE GSS is what we're looking for?

Hi Lucas,

Yes, that is what you need but with GSS EOL and EOS, you should be looking for similar solution.

Regards,

Kanwal

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: