Views
Helpful
Replies

Using the GSS as internal DNS Server

mkazim
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks,

I want to use the GSS to do only name resolution to my applications and it is going to be internal DNS so I do not want to use the ohter funtions such site selector, DDOs, etc. can I still do that as I have noticed the following announcement from Cisco

"Cisco® announces the end-of-sale and end-of life dates for the Cisco ACE Global Site Selector DNS License. The last day to order the affected product(s) is March 6, 2009, According to the following link:"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/contnetw/ps5719/ps4162/end_of_life_notice_c51-525343.html

Please shed the light like what is the effect of not having the DNS license anymore as an option.

Thanks,

Ismail

1 Reply 1

pthadani
Level 1
Level 1

The DNS license allowed you to run Cisco Network Registrar on your GSS. The GSS can currently only respond to A requests. For all other request types e.g. MX, the GSS can forward them to another DNS server. So without the DNS license, you can still use the GSS for answering all A requests for your internal domains but you will have to forward the non-A requests to another DNS server.

Hope that helps.

Prakash

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: