cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS with ACE - Use Ace or use WCCP or use PBR?

lordomaha
Level 1
Level 1

Wich is better to use, i need use two aces in HA (active x active). But the model of Switch Router is Enterasys and Enterasys dont have WCCP, but have TWCB(Transparent Web Cache Balancing (https://extranet.enterasys.com/sites/dms/DMSAssetLib/Documents/Feature%20Guides/twcbFeatGde041609.pdf), but my questions are:

1) I have two Aces too, the better is use Ace to do this or not? (In reality i think that is not the best way).

2) Somebody can say me if TWCB is the same of WCCP?

3) With PBR can i use two WAAS in active x active mode?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Daniel Arrondo Ostiz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Luciano,

I tried to open the link you provided, but it's asking me for an Enterasys username and password so I couldn't find out what exactly this feature is. My guess is that it allows some transparent redirection similar to WCCP, but I have no clue how this is achieved. Therefore, I'm just going to speak about the other options.

The first thing I would like to say is that, if you have to choose between PBR and ACE, I would recommend you to use the ACE. The main problem of PBR is that the redirection needs to be statically configured based on ACLs maching on the source or destination addresses, so, you don't have any kind of redundancy if a WAE goes down, and you may have to rewrite the ACLs if something changes in your environment. With the ACE, the load-balancing is dynamically done, so, if one of the WAE fails or the traffic patterns change, the load distribution will be dynamically adjusted

Regards

Daniel

In Your opinion, if i can put inline, this is the best way?

Thanks

Hi Luciano,

WAAS inline can have some issues also, for example, you wouldn't be able to load-balance the traffic between two WAE. Therefore, I don't think we can talk about a "better" solution without knowing more about your exact requirements.

I would recommend you to get in touch with the PDI helpdesk team (http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/tools/pdihd.html) if your company is entitled for it. They are specialized in WAAS design and implementations, so they can assist you in finding the best solution for your needs.

Regards

Daniel

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card