Views
Helpful
Replies

WAE 674 booting issues

shaikhsuhail
Level 1
Level 1

I am having issues with my WAE 674.

Powered on for the first time and was hanging at the booting the kernel screen.

Then used the software recovery CD waas-rescue-cdrom-4.4.1.12-npe-k9.iso, it went through all the steps of installation.

After reboot it hangs at booting the kernel, it does not move from this point. Nothing on the hyperterminal.

I have attached the screenshot.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Suhail.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nicolas Fournier
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Suhail,

How are you connected to the WAE?

If you are directly connected to the WAE through a screen/keyboard, I believe that what you see is expected: the WAAS software stop redirecting it's console output on the screen after booting it's kernel and move it to the serial port.

This is explained in the hardware specs of your device:

You can connect a keyboard to any USB port and  connect a monitor to the video connector to troubleshoot the BIOS boot  process. However, video output is for troubleshooting only during the  BIOS boot process. The video output stops displaying when the serial  port becomes active. To monitor the boot process in normal operation,  use the serial console port.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/wae/installation/7341-7371/guide/7300intr.html#wp1040565

Could you have a look at the boot sequence from the serial port and see if everything looks fine from there?

Regards,

Nicolas

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Nicolas Fournier
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Suhail,

How are you connected to the WAE?

If you are directly connected to the WAE through a screen/keyboard, I believe that what you see is expected: the WAAS software stop redirecting it's console output on the screen after booting it's kernel and move it to the serial port.

This is explained in the hardware specs of your device:

You can connect a keyboard to any USB port and  connect a monitor to the video connector to troubleshoot the BIOS boot  process. However, video output is for troubleshooting only during the  BIOS boot process. The video output stops displaying when the serial  port becomes active. To monitor the boot process in normal operation,  use the serial console port.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/wae/installation/7341-7371/guide/7300intr.html#wp1040565

Could you have a look at the boot sequence from the serial port and see if everything looks fine from there?

Regards,

Nicolas

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for the reply.

From the serial port I could see the recovery cd menu. My mistake was not using the conosle cable which came along with the WAE.

Thanks.