Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAE Cluster

We currently have a hub and spoke

design with WAE's at our data center and serveral out at remote sites all terminating back to the data center. I was wanting to create a cluster between two WAE's in a new environment we are standing up with the same hub and spoke design. We have dual routers, dual ISP's at both ends. Is this feasable?

4 Replies 4

Jan Rockstedt
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Sure with WCCP from the two routers.

Jan

Jan,

So if I do my 62 redirect on the router interface to the single subnet to the WAE's is what I am understanding. Also in the WAE itself what has to be configured to make it be a clustered pair.

Hi Douglas,

When you register both the routers on both the WAEs for both the services 61 and 62 the cluster automatically gets formed.  On the routers you just have to enable the IP WCCP 61 and 62 services and configure the redirect in or out on the relevant interfaces. On the WAEs you got to configure the router list which should contain the IPs of both the routers.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Kiran.

Doug,

When you configure your WAE-674 to speak to your  routers, you specify a router list. The routers Highest Loopback IP  Addresses (if doing GRE Negotiated Return) or the directly connected  Layer-2 adjacent interfaces (If doing IP Forwarded Return) are used.   This will negotiate a MASK of address space to be distributed between both WAE boxes from your routers.  Each routers WCCP setup will map a specific group of addresses to each WAE.

Setup on WAE

wccp router-list 1 10.0.0.254 10.0.0.253   (These are the IP address on your router)

wccp tcp-promiscuous router-list-num 1

wccp version 2

From here you have three real options:

#1 - Distribute load to both WAE boxes based on Source Address (WCCP Service 61 on WAN Interface of Data Center)

#2 - Distribute load to both WAE boxes based on Destination Address (WCCP Service 62 on WAN Interface of Data Center)

#3  - Create Custom WCCP Services and unique Access lists that send  replication traffic to one WAE, all other traffic to the other WAE

Method#1

With a WAE 674-8GB, if you push less than 100-150GB per day, you would normally employ method#1, WCCP 61 on the WAN interface and have duplicate traffic types on both WAE devices based on client source address.  This is great if one WAE dies the other WAE will generally have the same data cached.  Watch your data loads and service actions (TFO/LZ/DRE) for different applications and make sure you are not poisoning your DRE space by sending uncachable content to DRE.

Method#2

With a WAE 674-8GB, if you push more than 150-200GB per day, you would lean toward Option#2. I am not sure how WAAS version 4.4.1's DRE caching architecture will change the game.  If you determine you are over running the 300GB DRE partition every day or so, then you could  swap gears and distribute unique traffic types to each WAE by using WCCP  service group 62 on the Data Center WAN Interface.  This will send  traffic bound for Server-A to WAE#1 and traffic bound for Server-B to  WAE#2.  This would effectivly double your DRE Cache space, if required.  You would also modify your WCCP MASK value to either alternate WAE boxes  for every other destination address, or by every other subnet if you  have duplicate servers in alternate subnets. I believe your destination mask would be 0x1 to  alternate WAE devices based on 32-bit host addresses.  Effectivly giving  you 2 buckets.  A WAE fault in this scenario would force all traffic to a single WAE and require the data to be cached as new content.

Method#3

Finally if you had FTP/Data Domain/ComVault/SnapMirror  etc... replication traffic that was 300GB+ per day on a 674.  You could use one of your WAE boxes as Replication Mode.  You would create one access list for replication traffic types and bind tjhose to a custom WCCP service group.  All other traffic would go on your regular WCCP access list and get bound to your regular WCCP 61 / 62 services pointed to the other WAE.

There use to be a  WCCP Mask calculator on this link, but it appears to be broken.  If I  can find a local copy of it I will attach it to this thread.

https://communities.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9521

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card