Views
Helpful
Replies

Where's the cookie?

andyhsu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have the following setup for load-balancing between two different web servers. I'm trying to apply stickiness by using cookies, and it appears to be working because all users have stuck to the server they originally connected to, but when I look in their cookie cache, I don't see one from the CSS. To be sure, I deleted all cookies and then went back to the site; still no cookies. Any idea where they went?

-Andy

content mysite.com

protocol tcp

port 80

vip address 10.0.0.1

add service ws-1

add service ws-2

advanced-balance arrowpoint-cookie

active

service ws-1

ip address 10.1.0.1

protocol tcp

string 10.10.10.10

active

service ws-2

ip address 10.1.0.2

protocol tcp

string 10.10.10.11

active

3 Replies 3

wong34539
Level 6
Level 6

Sticky cookies are not maintained in the sticky table on the CSS. After the cookie is assigned to a client the client will store the cookie locally and provide it to the CSS when in session, therefore the CSS doesn't need to store it because the client is always providing it.

That's the reason why the cookies were not present in the cookie cache.

For more information refer:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/117/css_sticky_timeout.html

dcayer
Level 1
Level 1

We have noticed the same thing. We are unable to locate the cookie (.txt file) on the client's workstation. I believe this could be due to the default arrowpoint-cookie expiration setting (expires when the client exits the browser), but it could also be due to the version of the browser the client is using (i.e.: Maybe IE6 keeps those type cookies on RAM and not on disk?). We instead setup the client's browser options (IE6) to always prompt when a site requests a cookie. When the prompt appears, you can click on "more details" to view the content of the cookie (where you should be able to see the string configured for the chosen service).

tgibbs
Level 1
Level 1

The cookies are stored on a DAT file on the client's PC. To view a cookie (with IE..):

Select Tools from the title bar

Internet Options

At the General tab click settings.

Then view files.

All Temporary internet cache is stored here, including cookies.

The ARPT cookie is stored in a text format and would probably be easier to find if you sort by type.

It should be there.

BUT, WHY are you using IP addresses in the string comand? I don't need an answer if you are using it as a potential 'honey pot.' But i would have thought something a little more cryptic could be interted in to the cookie!

Tony Gibbs

Trainer.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: