cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WILL CSS HELP ENABLE PRIORITISING TRAFFIC TO PRIMARY SET OF SERVERS.

netkrish80
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Kindly help me how to achive the below.I have a CSS11501 in HA.Am doing inbound loadbalancing between 4 servers(2 in Chennai,India and 2 in Hyderabad,India).Kindly let me know if i can prioritise the loadbalncing to happen only between the 2 servers available in Chennai, and when the Chennai servers fail, the traffic should be loadbalanced between the servers in Hyderabad.

How can CSS help me acheive this.

Thanks & Regards,

JKannan

3 Replies 3

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

actually the CSS allows only one backup server.

So, you can have traffic sent to 2 servers and if they both fail, have the traffic sent to one backup server.

This is done with the primarysorryserver command.

If this is HTTP traffic [only HTTP] you can have multiple backup servers by using a workaround.

Instead of using 1 real server as a backup, you use a service redirect.

The redirect will force the client to open a new connection to a different content rule. It could be the same ip but a different port [ie: 81].

This 2nd content rule would use as many servers as needed.

Gilles.

Thanks Giles.

Could you please provide me a sample config bor HTTP and non HTTP redirect options.

regards,

JKannan

I do this with an ACL as seen below:

clause 100 permit tcp any destination content arrowpoint/yourcontentrule eq 80 prefer primaryserver,secondaryserver

If you do one ACL for each content rule and specify your servers that you want the traffic to go to first then you can control traffic from going to your secondary site. one caveat: when you do this ALL traffic goes to the primary. when it fails the traffic shifts to the secondary, then when/if it fails the traffic will be load balanced across the servers listed in your content rule.