cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DNS has no records warning - kind of funny story - is this really cause for alarm?

davebainum
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Okay, so we just ran into a new (and kind of amusing) alert via TB that I wanted some insight.  Here's the scenario:

Just took on a new client who we're using TB with.  They have an old, aging, about-to-be-sunset Small Business Server 2003.  We do not have a whole lot of detailed knowledge about the state of that machine, although we suspect it's not in the best of shape.

We've been hired to replace that server with a new SBS 2008.  Yay.  Hasn't arrived yet, but it's on order.

I noticed that TB is periodically saying "DNS 10.107.8.10 has no records" - the .10 being that SBS 2003 that I spoke of.

Just curious what this message refers to, exactly.  I would not be at all surprised if the client's SBS DNS is misconfigured or otherwise is in bad shape, but just wanted more insight as to what that error message means, exactly, and how to proceed.

This client is one who prefers to do most of the systems administration themselves - e.g. we do not have the admin password for their server (yet) and they have one of their staff unlock and then lock the console every time we do work on there (so far) - but we are trusted to handle the network, firewall, etc..  It's kind of an unusual situation, but they pay well and pay quickly... I have a feeling they'll give up the admin password soon enough.  They've been a client only for about 3 weeks or so, but things are going well overall.

TIA,

-- Dave Bainum (dbainum@ritetech.net),  PMP*
[PMP=PMI Certified Project Management Professional]
<Interested in great RP & other IT deals?? See tinyurl.com/plf8wz>
RiteTech LLC / www.ritetech.net / +1 (703) 561-0607
Creators of the www.RPConnect.net suite of applications

2 Replies 2

Brian Bergin
Level 4
Level 4

I think they said they're changing the timeout on the next revision to solve this.

linksys.var@terabyte.net wrote:

I think they said they're changing the timeout on the next revision to solve this.

Right, the next big release 'drop 2' has many enhancements and includes the functionality of allowing you to set the threshold for DNS resolution latency.  It defaults to 5 seconds, which is what the current release always uses.  Might be a DNS server that's getting under heavy load at times, or their upstream DNS servers are being a bit slow to respond.  5 seconds might not even be a good default threshold for DNS lookups, and we're relying on your feedback in this trial to help us tune these parameters.

For the time being, if this sensor is causing too much background noise for you, just pause the DNS sensor.   When drop 2 hits you'll be able to tune this setting to account for slower DNS servers.

-mike