cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dual VMs

Brian Bergin
Level 4
Level 4

For smaller firms, the requirement that two separate VMs be running to allow FindIT to run will be a deterrent.  Why can't all the functionality of the "Agent" be included in the management VM and then if a separate Agent needs deployed provide that option too?

5 Replies 5

David Harper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There's no good reason why both can't co-exist on the same VM, and it has been on the wishlist for a while.  It just hasn't bubbled up high enough to implement yet.

Having both running essentially as ships in the night with no integration between the UIs would be relatively simple.  Integrating both into a single UI would take a little more work, but would offer a better experience.  I have been leaning towards doing this as an integrated UI, but I'd be keen to hear whether you think this is enough of an issue to warrant doing the less user-friendly approach in the short term and integrating the UIs later?

Cheers,

Dave.

Simple is always better.  Having everything in one place is the way to go.  

Very true.

Well, I'm not sure at this point whether we will be able to get this done for 1.0, but we'll see what we can do.

Cheers,

Dave.

There's also system-overhead to consider.  Having 2 VMs is much more of a load on a small business server than a single one.  Many smaller businesses are going to have a server that runs their whole business and often will have 8GB of RAM (if they're lucky, I still see new customers with boxes with 4GB, mine will all have 16GB+ today).  Having to VMs that each are going to need 2GB of RAM would be a deterrent to FindIT adoption.

Well, the agent VM only uses 512M at the moment, and that is probably conservative.  But I do take your point.