cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Duplicate IP's

rmccoy
Level 1
Level 1

Over the last few weeks we have started receiving tons of bogus "Monitor: Duplicate IP detected on the network" alerts".   Other than stopping alerts is there a way to get the device to properly report duplicates?

Thanks,

Ryan 

1 Reply 1

Michael Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ryan,

We're looking into this issue. A few other folks have also reported receiving similar Duplicate IP monitoring alerts when they didn't believe there was an actual issue. We think we've identified our DHCP discovery process as the culprit for the alerts. One thing in common with networks we've received reports about the issue on has been the presence of an Apple AirPort on the same network, usually acting as the DHCP server. As I was typing this message, another engineer stopped by my cube and delivered an AirPort to me - I'll now try to replicate the problem here.

I looked through the event logs on one of your sites receiving these Duplicate IP alerts, and noticed that Apple devices were present on the network, although possibly just workstations or servers and not actually an AirPort device. Regardless of what types of devices (such as AirPorts) are causing the issue, I'm hopeful that we can recreate the problem and find a generic fix. Stay tuned.

-mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: