cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

most devices coming up as "unknown"

Brian Bergin
Level 4
Level 4

On customer 1051 (see attached), every PC is coming up as "unknown".  This LAN runs Symantec EndPoint 11.05 as does our LAN in the same generic config so that's the only firewall on LAN systems (Windows firewall is disabled) so I'm not sure why it's not detecting what these systems are.  They are on the same VLAN all in 192.168.1.0/24.  Do you think it's just becuase there are 63 devices on this LAN that it's going to take TBA a long time to discover all of them?  The funny thing is it found my laptop on the WAP4410n almost immediatly but called it "unknown" but in our office it called it a Windows 2000 LANMAN device so why would it not find it the same way here?

9 Replies 9

Brian Bergin
Level 4
Level 4

No thoughts?  What can I get Cisco to help hunt this down?  I'll deploy our 2nd customer tomorrow who had a similar setup as 1051.  I'll let you know how it discovers their LAN.

PC discovery mostly depends on SMB as it is rare that systems provide uPnP announcements.  We've actually been waiting Mike who did most of the SMB work to respond -- he was off volunteering at the food bank today.  If this site is not running any shares then there might be no domain master elected and SMB wouldn't give us anything.  But I'm no expert on this.  Same thing occurs with Macs.  If they are not sharing then all we get is IP and the MAC address.

At the very least their 2 Windows Servers (which were also identified as "unknown") have many shares so I don't think that's the issue.

I'm currently looking into a new issue with SMB discovery that may be causing less descriptive information to be learned about SMB/CIFs hosts on some (but not all) networks.  Stay tuned.

-mike

Located the root cause here, some PCs with & or < in their names (1051 has one machine called 'F&B XP Pro Core2 3Ghz 4GB' for example) are not being properly escaped for XML (which we use internally) and so are causing the discovery process for SMB/CIFs to get a bit off the rails.  No real harm, we just lose the additional information discovered via the SMB protocol.   Once we correct this issue and push out a fix, devices should start changing over from unknown to computer automatically.

-mike

Bingo!  Removed the & and it's fixed.  When you make the code chagne let me know and I'll add it back to test it.

Yes, one device with one of the 5 bad characters (&,<,>,',") currently kills SMB detection for that entire network.  We are testing a fix now, I think it should show up in the next day or so on the trial.

-mike

:)

Did this issue get resolved?

I use - in computer and device names like CISCO-SBS for an SBS Server

In your discussion you showed other symbols but not the dash (-)

Thx,

Jay

Jay,

Yes, it was resolved shortly after the trial began.  If you run into problems with any characters in computer names, we'd be very interested to know.

-mike