cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Scanning network

john.grange
Level 1
Level 1

I am not sure if this a planned feature or not, but the ability to "add a network to scan" is critical to something like this, I have many subnets attached to my network and I think we are missing out in being able to scan multiple networks.

10 Replies 10

We call this feature request "Multiple VLANs/Multiple Subnets" and it is high in our to do list.

Thanks,

Marcos

Great, I look forward to it!

There is one corner case that will probably have to wait until after the trial, and that is the discovery of network devices that are on the same broadcast domain but on a secondary IP subnet. Formal support for this feature will also be requested, even though TBA can do it to some extent today.

Marcos

Perhaps I am not understanding your terminology correctly, when you say same broadcast domain / different subnet what are you referring too? The additional networks I am speaking of are all sitting on the other side of a router, which would put them in a different broadcast domain.

John,

In some cases, you have two IP subnets (or more) in the same broadcast domain. The router is the default gateway for two subnets, so it has a secondary IP configured. This is something that TB will also have to support.

Marcos

In a small business network?  Perhaps someone could explain why a small biz would require such a setup?  Remember guys, this is a small business product not a mid to large size product.  Perhaps it would help if Cisco would tell us their definition of a "small business" network.  My defintion is a LAN that would fit easily with all devices on a /24.  As I said in a previous post, I can make an arguement for a /23, but anything larger than that would consititute, IMHO, a non-small-business LAN and should, perhaps, be left on simmer while other issues are focused on.

We typically see this requirement in "grayfield" situations in which a network is being migrated from one IP subnet to another, so support for two subnets under the same VLAN is required.

Marcos

Base don that it would not a long term scenerio for the business and thus I would rank this at or near the bottom of needs. That is, of course, unless that would give us the ability to scan remote LANs connected via VPN.  In that case, then I vote for moving it to much higher on the list.

Got you.

Marcos

netguyz08
Level 1
Level 1

Oh! This feature is just what I was looking for, too, since I have clients setup with IPSec tunnels between sites.